Out of Memory when saving Project or Exporting TTF

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
haliepark

Out of Memory when saving Project or Exporting TTF

Post by haliepark »

Hello,

I cannot save the project file as .fcp or export it as .ttf when I using FontCreator 9.1. It told me "Out of Memory". The .fcp is about 67Mbytes and .ttf is about 50Mbytes. The RAM of my PC is 12Gbytes while I closed all other apps when I use it. How should I solve it?

Besides, I found the curve of the glyph outline in FontCreator is not as smooth as it is in Adobe Illustrator after I copied and pasted it from Adobe Illustrator to FontCreator. The image is as below. Is there any way I can solve this problem?
Import from AI.png
Import from AI.png (32.88 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Out of Memory when saving Project or Exporting TTF

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator 9.1 only supports TrueType outlines so Postscript curves will be converted on import. This will increase the number of nodes. It looks to me, from your screenshot, that the image is being imported as a bitmap, not a vector.

FontCreator 11.0 supports both Truetype and Postscript curves.

67 Mbytes is large for a font project, but not exceptionally large (my largest project is less than 1 Mbyte with thousands of glyphs), and that should not be an issue, but note that 32-bit applications cannot use more than 2 Gbytes of your 12 Gbytes of RAM.

FontCreator 11.0 is 64-bit.

If you could zip a few of your AI files and attach the zip archive or 7-Zip archive, I can try importing them to FontCreator 11.0
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
haliepark

Post by haliepark »

Hello,

I installed a trial version of Fontcreator 11.0 and had a try. And I managed to save and export the file. But I still found some anchor points are not smooth in 11.0.
Attached are the files for the test.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/afy1h7463ypv9mk/test.zip?dl=0
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You can change the export settings to use CFF Postscript outlines, but the original curves are ragged, so the results won't be much better, though they may have fewer nodes.

I don't have Adobe Illustrator here, but I was able to open your AI file in Serif PagePlus and DrawPlus. The problematic curves that your screen shots point to are also rough when opened in Serif Apps.

Improve your original drawing, and try again.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

This is what I see in AI...note I also enlarged the /O character as my settings prefer this scale.
capture-001581.png
capture-001581.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
And here it is in FC after a copy/paste and moved the rest of the way into position:
capture-001582.png
capture-001582.png (39.51 KiB) Viewed 3470 times
The curve type has changed, but otherwise is pretty faithful.

The wreath object didn't fair well at the leaf tips. I tried eps, copy/past & SVG. Though the import via the clipboard has improved, I think the import process is about the only real weakness of FC11.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

There are a few things you need to set up. As Bhikkhu Pesala mentioned, do set the export settings for TrueType/OpenType to CFF *(PostScript) outline format.
exportsettings.png
exportsettings.png (9.86 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Also make sure the Import settings in the Options dialog match your original AI document. I suggest you use something close to 64 upem. See:
importsettings.png
importsettings.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 3466 times

Then the import is as good as the original:
importai.png
importai.png (73.31 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology