Coloring font - making white body in outline font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Glyphman

Coloring font - making white body in outline font

Post by Glyphman »

Hi, I just bought FontCreator 11 and shall start my first project with this software.

As I am a webdesigner I mainly use fontediting software for modify webfonts when I need some special shaping and editing as this time.

I have a webfont that is outlined (black stroke), but when using it in website editing software I can't give it a white body. It's transparent by default.

In design software such as Adobe Illustrator I can do this and export the headline as a PNG with exactly the look I want, but this is not a option because I will edit the headlines very often.

So... is it possible in FontCreator to create a colored font and export in the different font formats that I need for the web; .eot, .svg, ttf, woff ??

Is there a tutorial, that I can't find :D

Very grateful for tips
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to support forum and fixed typos
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Coloring font - making white body in outline font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is a tutorial on creating multicoloured fonts, but creating a font with a single colour (white or whatever) is a lot easier. It hardly needs a tutorial.

Assuming that you're starting with an outline font (mine was not, so I applied an Outline Transformation to the selected glyphs first):
  1. Select the glyphs that you wish to colorize
  2. Show the Palette (Shift F2)
  3. Select the colour that you want (white)
  4. Right-click on the selected glyphs
  5. Colorize the selected glyphs
  6. Test as a web font (WOFF) with Ctrl+F5
FontCreator only exports TTF/OTF or WOFF, but there are plenty of sites like Font Squirrel where you can upload a TrueType/OpenType font and convert it to all of the required web formats.
Colorize to White.png
Colorize to White.png (28.93 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Hi Bhikkhu, thanks for your fast reply. No problem for me to make the different font formats. The real guestion is as I mensioned, a black outline and a white body. That's two colors. Black and white. Do you have a solution for that?
Gracias
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font in my screen shot has a black outline and a white body, instead of a black outline and a transparent body.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Ahh ok Bhikkhu, now I understand... Gracias. Was misunderstanding.