Font issue in Word 2016

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
AdamZane

Re: Font issue in Word 2016

Post by AdamZane »

I am mostly concerned, not about the difference between the symbol and unicode versions of my font, but how to get the alt symbols that are missing in Word 2016 to show up. Attached are samples from a Word 2010 (left) and Word 2016 (right) expression of the font. Note how some of the alt characters, such as Alt + 0225, do not show up in Word 2016.

The Unicode version was no better. If the glyphs showed in the unicode version I would happily switch to that version of the font
Attachments
compare.jpg
compare.jpg (136.36 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I just noticed a serious issue with this font. It contains both Unicode and Symbol code points, but you are not allowed to mix them.

Since your font is a Symbol font you have to assign symbol code points to the glyphs, in this range 0xF000 - 0xF0FF. I did mention this is my first reply :roll:

The easiest way to fix this is by converting the font from Symbol to Unicode, and then back to Symbol.
AdamZane wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:24 pm The Unicode version was no better. If the glyphs showed in the unicode version I would happily switch to that version of the font
It works just fine here, but you need to remap 20 characters as they lost their code points because there is no perfect conversion from Symbol to Unicode.

See:
CentaursUnicode.otf
(56.35 KiB) Downloaded 238 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You should consider using the correct Unicode code points for the Astrological symbols. E.g. Sun $2609.

Not all your glyphs have a corresponding mapping, but this list might help:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_symbols
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
AdamZane

Post by AdamZane »

Thank you Erwin for both of your replies and the .otf version of the font. I will look into your suggestions. Greatly appreciated.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Segoe UI Symbol might be a good inspiration.
SegoeUISymbol.png
SegoeUISymbol.png (120 KiB) Viewed 3266 times
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
AdamZane

Post by AdamZane »

Hi Erwin,

I just wanted to tell you that I took your advice, completely revamped my font, and now have one that has 221 glyphs that happily show up in Word 2016.

So thank you for all your help. I learned a lot, and am happily planning to start work on my second font.

Zane