Hinting Program problems

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Hinting Program problems

Post by PJMiller »

I'm having trouble with the program Font Creator uses to add hints to my fonts. For some reason it doesn't like my fonts (all four of the same family) but still works on other fonts I have created.

This is not the same problem as it had previously with component depth greater than 3.

These fonts have a maximum component depth of three, the same as Munson and Kelvinch which can be exported to TTF without problems.
Info.jpg
Info.jpg (127.28 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
Error_Message.jpg
Error_Message.jpg (50.55 KiB) Viewed 3855 times
Without hints my fonts look terrible at low point sizes. :(
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Hinting Program problems

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Probably one or more glyphs is too complex or has intersecting contours. Try running the Font Validator.

See this earlier thread
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do try this update as it contains a more recent version of ttfautohint, but please be aware font project files will not be backwards compatible.

FontCreator 11.0.0.2420 (64 bit edition)
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

I am currently running 11.0.0.2412 , I was thinking about trying the newer version posted on the Beta Test forum but I don't need single line fonts for CNC or support for vertical writing.

I will try this version and let you know the results.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

The new version worked fine without any problems and without any changes to the font.

I will have to update to the new version on my laptop as well because it seems I cant open the new project files with 11.0.0.2412

Thanks for your help :D
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Hi Erwin, wonder why this update isn't available in the "Help/Check for updates" section of the software? Is this link provided above the oficial update?
Gracias
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We usually provide upcoming updates to our beta testers, but with this release we did include several rare new enhancements which we would like to be tested through a public release.

We don't expect issues, so we'll probably release an official update today or tomorrow.

We might decide to release it as FontCreator 11.5 as it contains several new features and the font project format isn't compatible with FontCreator 11.0.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Glyphman

Post by Glyphman »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:16 pm We usually provide upcoming updates to our beta testers, but with this release we did include several rare new enhancements which we would like to be tested through a public release.

We don't expect issues, so we'll probably release an official update today or tomorrow.

We might decide to release it as FontCreator 11.5 as it contains several new features and the font project format isn't compatible with FontCreator 11.0.
Thanks for info