Pointing hand bug in preview?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Psymon

Pointing hand bug in preview?

Post by Psymon »

Well, this is really weird. I was adding in the four pointing hand symbols to my font, and everything was coming along fine... until I added them to the preview window, then weird things start to happen.

If I add in all four glyphs to the preview (with or without a bit of text afterwards) then they show up no problem.

Pointing Hands 1.jpg
Pointing Hands 1.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 7094 times

And if I add just the left or right pointing hand in there as the first character, then they also show up no problem...

Pointing Hands 2.jpg
Pointing Hands 2.jpg (33.9 KiB) Viewed 7094 times

But if either the up or down pointing hand is the first character in the preview, then it's as though my glyph had moved waaaaaaay over beyond the left of the left-hand bearing, and that glyph (and any text I might have typed in after it) scoots over and partially disappears to the left in there, like this...

Pointing Hands 3.jpg
Pointing Hands 3.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 7094 times

It's only in the preview window that it's doing this. If I do a WOFF test on my font, everything seems to work fine, so I guess it's not all THAT serious an issue, but still... what the fudge???

:shock:
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Pointing hand bug in preview?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I think we will need to see the font project. I see no problem here with my font.

Try collapsing and expanding the side panel in the preview toolbar by double-clicking on the handle.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:46 pm I think we will need to see the font project. I see no problem here with my font.
Sent you and Erwin a message just now re that.
Try collapsing and expanding the side panel in the preview toolbar by double-clicking on the handle.
Doesn't seem to help any! :roll:
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The up and down pointing hands have a large negative offset, so they are positioned to the left of the Y-axis.
Offset.png
Offset.png (15.15 KiB) Viewed 7080 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:53 pm The up and down pointing hands have a large negative offset, so they are positioned to the left of the Y-axis.
Oh, wow -- interesting. Y'know, all this time I've been using FC, I never even noticed that offset thing there (nor the AW thing either -- whatever that is). I just poked around at different glyphs in my font, and it seems that there's all sorts of different offset values. Now I'm wondering if all my fonts are screwed up like that, with certain glyphs having an offset that they shouldn't.

What "should" that value be? Should it really be 0 (zero) for all glyphs? How do you change it? It seems you can't change the value in that dialog box. I just looked in the help files, too, but can't really find any info at all about "offset." Nothing that seems helpful, anyway.

I do hate to trouble you, but can you explain what these values "should" be? Am I right that they should be 0? And how/where do you change it/them?

Thanks once again, Bhikkhu! :)
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Psymon wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm Oh, wow -- interesting. Y'know, all this time I've been using FC, I never even noticed that offset thing there (nor the AW thing either -- whatever that is).
AW = Advance Width. ;)
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Set the left side-bearing to zero.
Set Left Side-bearing to Zero.png
Set Left Side-bearing to Zero.png (7.92 KiB) Viewed 7067 times
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Ah, okay. All this time I thought there was "supposed" to be space on the left-hand side of each glyph, too! Don't ask me why I thought that, I just did.

I haven't done anything with this yet -- and please forgive me if I'm slow, but I'm actually really sick with the flu at the moment :( -- but I did try this out on one glyph, and I see that it reset that offset, but didn't actually change my LSB (that's what I was a bit concerned about, thinking that it would mess that up). I'm sure I'll get this eventually, but right now I don't. :roll:

Also, I see that if I select more than one glyph then that checkbox is grayed-out -- can one not fix this on all one's glyphs in one shot? Do I have to go through each/every glyph one at a time? :shock:
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Oh, never mind -- it just occurred to me that there might be a script for that, and lo and behold, there is! ;)

I'm still a bit confused about that, though. If one checks that box -- or runs that script -- and does what it says, i.e. "Set left side bearing point at x=0," then how come the LSB field above that doesn't go to 0?

Aren't those the same thing? That's why I never checked that box before, since I have hardly any glyphs with an LSB set at 0.

I'm confused... :(
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Well, it's a few days later now (since my last reply here) and I still don't understand this. I did run that script on all my fonts (to make sure "x=0"), but interestingly it didn't seem to make any impact at all on how my fonts render -- I thought all my kerning, etc. would end up coming out totally out-of-whack, but I couldn't see any difference at all between the before/after versions.

Not to say that it's not a good script to run (as evidenced by my original query here), but I still don't understand the difference between what left side bearing that checkbox is referring to and the LSB field above that -- are they not referring to the same thing??? :roll:
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Not a good idea to run it on the whole font!

Most of the characters would be unaffected if they were correctly positioned but the combining diacritics would all be set to the wrong positions if they were correctly positioned before you ran the script.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The next upcoming release will show the glyph in the correct position within the Preview window.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

PJMiller wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 am Not a good idea to run it on the whole font!
Oh no! I already ran it on all four of my fonts (that I'm currently working on)!
Most of the characters would be unaffected if they were correctly positioned but the combining diacritics would all be set to the wrong positions if they were correctly positioned before you ran the script.
Is that the only reason? If so, I did convert all my composite characters to simple, so I presume they wouldn't be affected in that way -- should I be okay, then?

I still don't understand this thing with there being two references to the LSB in the glyph properties dialog. :?
Erwin Denissen wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:58 pm The next upcoming release will show the glyph in the correct position within the Preview window.
Thanks, Erwin! I'm not quite sure how that affects this issue here that we've been talking about, but nevertheless... thanks! :)
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Psymon wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:02 pmI still don't understand this thing with there being two references to the LSB in the glyph properties dialog. :?
There's not. There is the LSB and the Left side-bearing point, which is the origin of the Y-axis.
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:53 pm There is the LSB and the Left side-bearing point, which is the origin of the Y-axis.
But that's what I don't get -- "LSB" means "left side bearing" -- so that's rather like saying "There is the left side bearing, and then there is the left side bearing." :shock: