Pointing hand bug in preview?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Pointing hand bug in preview?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Psymon wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:53 pm And so then I found that script to set that to 0, and ran that on my whole font -- which I was then told was the wrong thing to do, because diacriticals need that offset (and I can understand why).
It is not wrong, but it might affect the horizontal position of composite glyph members.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Psymon wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:02 pm Yes, that's what I see in the glyph edit window, too -- but where is this "point" that the LSB is referring to? I see the two lines for the LSB and RSB, but if a glyph has an offset, where/how is that indicated? There's no other, third line or anything.
Again, the offset is the horizontal position of the left side-bearing line. So if you want to change the offset, just move that line.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Psymon

Post by Psymon »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:05 pm So if you want to change the offset, just move that line.
My brain just exploded. Now I suddenly don't understand anything at all! :shock:

I just did that, and -- my apologies for not "seeing" that before -- now I see that if I move the LSB then suddenly I indeed do have a third line.

What the fudge, though! It's like all of a sudden I don't understand fonts (more specifically glyphs) at all. I'm looking at a character in the glyph edit window, I see it's shape, and to the left there was originally a line -- the LSB, of course. It wasn't touching the edge of the actual glyph, but was off a little bit -- by the amount indicated in the LSB window, of course (in the glyph properties). And that's what that number represents, i.e. how far from the left edge of the glyph the left-side bearing is. And as far as any offset goes (to another, third point) there was none.

Then I drag that line a little over to the left -- and as I do so there's now TWO lines (i.e. a third vertical line), and both the numbers in my LSB and the offset (below it) change.

So this -- now, at this point in this discussion -- is what I don't understand. When I move the LSB, surely I don't want it to create an offset, I'm only adjusting that bearing to wherever I think it should be -- no? But when I move that LSB, there's that third line that appears that remains where it was before -- and it's not touching the edge of my glyph, it's away from it by the same distance that my LSB was before. It's like I now have two LSBs.

It's totally weird that I never noticed a third line appearing before, as I've adjusted that LSB countless times like that, but now I see what you mean -- I just don't know why you would want that to happen, though. Surely, in 99.9999% of the times that one moves the LSB, you want the offset to remain at 0, don't you?

I feel like there's more that I'm confused about here, but I'm having troubles thinking here while my head is still exploding -- lol :lol: