A vague complaint - upgrades, old installers, etc.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Gunny

A vague complaint - upgrades, old installers, etc.

Post by Gunny »

I don't really think this lament will change something but I'll give it try. =)

1. In 2016 I bought a license for Font Creator 9.1 Professional. However, FC 10 was released a few weeks later and I felt cheated - I bought a latest version but suddenly I owned an "outdated" version and it seemed I had no right to free upgrade. I was stuck with the old version just because I chose a wrong time. This did not feel right.

2. I checked the price for upgrade and I was surprised again because its price was (and still is) more than 50 % of the new license. Of course, the author could set any price policy he wants but I don't think such ratio is good. I don't know how many users currently buys each and every new version but I feel such ratio forces users to skip some versions and upgrade once in a few years so it does not really increase the revenue. (Or does it?)

3. Almost two years passed so yesterday I decided to check the latest version of Font Creator and its new functions and improvements. I planned to install it to another folder but it did not ask anything and it simply rewrote my installation of FC 9.1. That's not what a well behaved installer should do!

4. After some testing I decided to go back to 9.1. I uninstalled the latest version and opened the old installation folder on my NAS. Unfortunately Windows Defender told me that the old installer includes some kind of Trojan (I guess a false alarm) and put it to quarantine. That should not be a big deal but it seems that there is some bug related to network drives and I just could not get the file back - it kept disappearing.
Finally I gave up the fight and went to high-logic.com to download the setup again but the download page includes just the latest version. The older versions seems to be hidden in a secret place or something. That's really strange considering points 1 & 2 - I'm supposed to use version 9.1 but the website basically tells me that this version is hopelessly outdated and long forgotten.

I think you should change something - either make the upgrades free (or at least much cheaper) or put the old installers on your website. The current state seems to be rather inconsistent... Please think about it.
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: A vague complaint - upgrades, old installers, etc.

Post by Alfred »

Gunny wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:33 pm The older versions seems to be hidden in a secret place or something.
The secret place is the page where you go to retrieve lost registration codes (Support > Registration Codes). If you submit the form, the email that you receive in response to your request will also include the relevant link/s.
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Thanks! I see that the page now even includes direct links to the old installers so I don't have to use the form. That should solve my current problem. =)

(However I still think HL should consider changing its price policy for upgrades... ;)
Alfred
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Alfred »

Gunny wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 am Thanks!
You’re welcome. :)
Gunny wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 am I see that the page now even includes direct links to the old installers so I don't have to use the form.
Yes, that’s why I said the email “will also” include the links. ;)
FC14 Pro (Help) + MT11.0 Pro (Help) • Windows 10