How to AutoKern all selected letters?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
JamesX

How to AutoKern all selected letters?

Post by JamesX »

I'm struggling for a few days to find out how to work with FontCreator Professional. The menus are not self-explanatory, no status bar for help or bubble explanations, and both help (F1) and the user manual (PDF) are simply skipping over most menu items, no terminology help, no examples, no suggested workflow -that is, for the vast majority of the functions, especially the ones that FontCreator has an advantage over free/web-solutions, the ones that allow the user to have more control.

So I came here for help. I need to select eg both capital and lowercase letters, then make them appear in distinct pairs like the default group, then autokern them, so I can efficiently manually adjust only the pairs I need to adjust. Can this be done, and what steps are needed?

FontCreator Professional 9.1

(I have used it (rarely) some years ago, so I know some basic things, but not the ones I'm asking -this time I need to get deeper.)
JamesX

Re: How to AutoKern all selected letters?

Post by JamesX »

Nevermind, I found it (it's funny that I'm struggling a couple of days, then I found it 10 minutes after posting it here).

The steps are:
OpenTypeDesigner (Ctrl+F8) -> Class Manager (icon) -> add -> select letters with left-click and shift+left-click, then ctrl+left-click and ctrl+shift+left-click for the last character -> OK -> group name -> OK -> OK -> select "KerningfromkernTable (kern)" -> right-click "new item" -> pair adjustment ->finish -> click on "pairadjustment1" -> add (icon) on the right panel -> set classes for left and right subpanel -> select the new group in both subpanels -> OK -> right-click on "pairadjustment1"-> BreakGroups (that was the magic click I missed) -> right click again on "pairadjustment1" -> autokern -> Finish.
JamesX

Post by JamesX »

BTW, before AutoKern, it is crucial to run first Tools->AutoMetrics for the font.

Without that you may encounter cases where kerning is ignored.
I was making pair adjustments and were all ignored on all browsers except Chrome. Even on the program itself they were ignored on the preview bar bellow the pair adjustment. After I included on my workflow AutoMetrics first, everything works fine everywhere.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Over the years we’ve fixed numerous bug concerning pair positioning so we recommend to upgrade to the latest version.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology