.init and .end for the same original letter

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jkmogford

.init and .end for the same original letter

Post by jkmogford »

In a course I'm taking we were taught how to create .init and .end and they are placed in the SingleSubstitution2 table under AccessAllAlternates1. When I test the font in font creator, word and adobe, it appears that the .init takes precedence and will show up at the beginning and the end of a word. Example: I tried to make r.init and r.end and when typing the word river, I get the r.init at the beginning and the end. It's as if the programs can't tell the difference. So for the time being I've removed "duplicate" letters to .ss01 - and I have created the chaining context for each of the two (r.init and r.end) but that didn't seem to make a difference.

I have a feeling there is a way to make both work, but maybe it wasn't covered in the class because her examples didn't show this. Only that if you had for example a script connecting g and a script g that loops below the next letter, then you would make that g, and any additional g's a stylistic alternate.

If there isn't a way for this option to work, I would like to ask for this to be an enhancement. I know some designers make multiple stylistic alternate sets for their fonts, however, mine isn't as complicated as that.

Thanks in advance for any advice / tips you can provide.
Julie :)
Erwin Denissen

Re: .init and .end for the same original letter

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The forum already has some great resources that should help you out. For example:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5804#p26497

We might isolate the best parts of these posts and make it a separate "tutorial" so it will become a lot easier to understand and use such OpenType layout features for script fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology