Identifying assigned keys to keyboard

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
attroll

Identifying assigned keys to keyboard

Post by attroll »

I am sorry if this question has been asked before, I looked and could not find it.

I have been using FontCreator for many years now. I never realized this forum existed.
I am using it to create custom icons assigned to the keyboard keys.

When creating the fonts some of the keys on the keyboard are self-explanatory as to what key they are on the keyboard. I have used all the common keys on the keyboard, like all the upper and lower case letters and the symbols. It seems that there are other keys that I can assign more icons to but I don’t know what key they are assigned to on the keyboard.

Is there a chart or listing someplace that explains all the keys that I can access on the keyboard and how to execute them?
For example, there are a couple of keys that I could assign things to but I don’t know how to execute the key;

aring
ae
ccedila
Thorn
Eth

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Identifying assigned keys to keyboard

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Is it for your own use, or are you looking for a global solution?

If for your own, then it depends on your keyboard. Since there are many different keyboards, a global solution might only work with a custom keyboard layout, which can be made with Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator:
Ever wanted to quickly and easily define your own keyboard layout for a language Microsoft doesn't support? Or define your own keyboard layout so you can quickly and easily enter your favorite symbols with a simple keystroke? Well, want no more: the Microsoft Keyboard Layout Creator is here!
Other people have more experience with this, so I hope they can help you further.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Identifying assigned keys to keyboard

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Take a look at my PagePlus Keyboard for windows, which uses dead keys to type accented characters.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486