Cubic vs. Quadratic

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
jedbadda

Cubic vs. Quadratic

Post by jedbadda »

Will converting contours from Cubic to Quadratic (or vice-verse) alter the shape/outline of the glyphs?

If I am copy-pasting glyphs from Adobe Illustrator, they will be Quadratic, correct? Any advantage to converting to Cubic if I am exporting the fonts as CFF?

And finally, will the fonts look better on screen as Quadratic or Cubic outlines?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Cubic vs. Quadratic

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

1. How the vectors are imported will depend on whether you selected TrueType Outline Format in Export Settings, or CFF Outlines
  2. Converting curves will alter the shape slightly. Try importing a vector with export options set to TrueType, then change the setting to CFF, and import it again. See screen shots below.
  3. CFF outlines do not support hinting, which might affect how they look on screen. Try each method, and see which you prefer. You can test a font in your target application without installing it by selecting the temporary font name generated in the Font Test Window while leaving the Font Test window open and switching to your target application.

Animated PNG (Imported from SVG to Quadratic then Cubic)
Cubic and Quadratic.png
Cubic and Quadratic.png (46 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486