Phantom Anchors

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Phantom Anchors

Post by PJMiller »

I don't know if this is a bug or not, but it is slightly annoying.

There are some anchors which appear in the list of available anchors when I'm adding anchors to a glyph. One of these was a failed experiment and the other is there because I copied several glyphs with anchors from the 'Roman' to the 'Italic' before working on transforming them into italics.

As far as I know neither of these anchors is present in any glyph but they still appear in the list when I wish to place an anchor. Is there any way to get rid of them ?

It would be nice if 'Validate' got rid of unused anchors, or at least had an option to remove unused anchors.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Phantom Anchors

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You can delete them through the Anchor Manager which is available through the Anchors toolbar, and also through the OpenType Designer.
AnchorsToolbar.png
AnchorsToolbar.png (6.37 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
AnchorManager.png
AnchorManager.png (3.75 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
PJMiller wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:00 pm It would be nice if 'Validate' got rid of unused anchors, or at least had an option to remove unused anchors.
Unused anchors won't end up in your fonts, so technically it is not an issue.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Thank you, I don't think I've seen that dialog before.

I deleted the two unused anchors from the 'Italic' font. Interestingly the little red marker which appears in the corner of a font which has been changed didn't appear and the 'save all projects' icon on the toolbar was still grey. So as a test I closed without saving and Font Creator didn't complain.

I then re-opened the font projects and unsurprisingly the changes hadn't been made so I deleted them a second time and made a trivial change to one of the glyphs and then saved the projects.

Now that I know of it's existance I will remember that dialog, thank you again.
ashwini

Post by ashwini »

1. Can we know if an anchor that shows up in Anchor Manager is not used in the font at all?
2. Can we know what glyphs are using an Anchor that shows up in Anchor Manager?

Thank You
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

No, this is not possible at the moment.

Can you explain why you need it? We might add such features if they proof useful or vital.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology