initial, medial and terminal forms

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Dumbledore

initial, medial and terminal forms

Post by Dumbledore »

Dear High-Logic
In the manual the description of initial, medial and terminal substitutions are not to be used with the Latin alphabet. Does this mean it can't be used with the Latin alphabet? If so, may I ask for a modification? Historical forms of the Latin alphabet frequently use different characters for the beginning, middle and end of words, so I would like to access the function.
Yours sincerely
Les Prince
Erwin Denissen

Re: initial, medial and terminal forms

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Version 1.8 of the OpenType specification was released in September 2016 and has significantly revised the following features: Initial Forms {init}, Isolated Forms {isol}, Medial Forms {medi}, and Terminal Forms {fina}. They should no longer be used with Latin script. Most OpenType layout engines haven't been updated yet, but sooner or later they might drop support for Latin based init, medi, and fina.

To be sure your Latin fonts continue to work, we recommend to use a different approach to keep in line with the specs.

This topic explains how to use chained context substitution to mimic init, medi, and fina for Latin based characters:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5804
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Lesley Prince

Post by Lesley Prince »

Thank you Erwin
I am slowly getting to grips with the Open Type features. I think I have cracked the ligature problem (with your help and that of Bhikku Pasala) and now getting into more obscure (for me) territory.
Les Prince
Dr. Lesley Prince

Everything that ever has meant anything has just as truly meant something else (Charles Fort)
Lesley Prince

Post by Lesley Prince »

Hello again Erwin
I've just had a look at the link you supplied - it's head buzzy time. I'll have to print it out and read slowly before trying it out.
Thank you again
Les Prince
Dr. Lesley Prince

Everything that ever has meant anything has just as truly meant something else (Charles Fort)