Auto Metrics and Anchors

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Auto Metrics and Anchors

Post by PJMiller »

It would be nice if when Auto Metrics adjusts the left side bearing of a glyph it adjusted the positions of the Anchors by the same amount.

For instance if it reduces the LSB of a particular glyph by 42 it then adds -42 to the positions of the anchors so they are in the same position relative to the glyph.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Auto Metrics and Anchors

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am new to this, but isn't that what Anchor Based Reposition is designed to do?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

Auto Metrics adjusts side bearings but doesn't reposition anchors.

Anchor positioning and anchor repositioning makes a good attempt at positioning the anchors and on the whole does a good job but gets some of them in positions which are close but not optimal. When they have been manually repositioned auto metrics will adjust the bearings without affecting the position of the anchors. Anchor based reposition will put them back to what the program thought was the best position.

Either way they need to be checked and some of them repositioned manually.

If auto metrics kept the anchors in the same position relative to the glyph then that would be good.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

AutoMetrics will change the side bearings for the base character, which affects all composites that make use of that base glyph.

I understand the problem, but I'm not sure if it is wise to also adjust all composite glyphs.

Enabling AutoAttach to the composite should solve the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

You are correct, auto metrics does adjust the positions of the anchors when adjusting the side bearings of the glyph. I have just done another experiment. Sorry for posting this spurious request. :oops:

I am still coming to terms with all the differences in FC 12.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

PJMiller wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:47 amSorry for posting this spurious request. :oops:
Moved to FontCreator Support Forum.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486