Composite Glyphs with Negative X Scales

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
shadowgun1102

Composite Glyphs with Negative X Scales

Post by shadowgun1102 »

I'd like to report that some of my software (including Windows 7 standard font preview window and MS Word 2010) seem to have some issues processing composite glyphs that have the "Use this glyph's metrics" flag checked (possibly in conjunction with negative X scale of the glyph member).

It's easy to fix (uncheck it and set the bearings manually. Tip:

you might as well save your font, exit FC and open it once again, ultimately load the font project back. Then, after unchecking the "Use this glyph's metrics" flag, the bearings will stay (presumably desirable) in »this glyph's metrics« location — the original bearing values will be "forgotten"). It might save you some typing.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Composite Glyphs with Negative X Scales

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As noted before, this is a known issue with scaling of composite glyph members.

FontCreator 12 has an option to decompose scaled composites on export.
Decompose on Export.png
Decompose on Export.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
If you tell us which glyphs are causing problems, we can advise why it happens, and what you might do to work around the issue. Just making the glyph simple will solve the issue. There is no need to export and import the font.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486