Exporting Fonts

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
KiwiBlair

Exporting Fonts

Post by KiwiBlair »

Greetings,
This is my first posting on this forum having just recently installed Font Creator 12 home Edition and registered it. I am a longtime admirer of fonts but this is my first foray into font creation. This need arose when I decided to use a favourite font in a quarterly Journal which I do the layout for only to discover this font has no macronised characters. Here in New Zealand publishing it is becoming essential to use macronised vowels to properly render Te Reo Māori which is one of the official languages of NZ.

So far I have added macrons to seven of the font family and successfully exported and installed them but three fonts have not exported properly and do not show the macronised characters (although other characters which I altered have been exported). I am at a loss to explain why this is so.

Is it possible for me to send the offending .otf files and the associated .fcp file for checking in the hope someone can spot what is wrong?
Blair.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Exporting Fonts

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font project file would be the most useful. Click on the Attachments tab below the reply box to attach the *.fcp file.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
KiwiBlair

Post by KiwiBlair »

Pesala,
Attached are two files Gurerrer Extra Bold M.fcp which produces an .otf file which installs and shows my new macronised glyphs,
and Guerrer Extra Bold Oblique M.fcp which produces an .otf file which does NOT show my additions.
Guerrer Extrabold Oblique M.fcp
The NOT OK file
(209.89 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Guerrer Extrabold M.fcp
The OK file
(209.54 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
So far as I am aware I used exactly the same method to add the new glyphs and export/install them.
Blair.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The glyphs with macrons have no code-points.

Open the glyph properties toolbar (F4), select each glyph in turn, and click the icon to generate code-points from glyph names. Then click on Apply to save the changes for that glyph before selecting the next one.

If you select the Unmapped category in the glyph overview side panel, you will see the glyphs disappear from that group as you apply the mappings.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
KiwiBlair

Post by KiwiBlair »

Thanks for that help Pesala. Your solution works for my problem fonts, but I am puzzled as to why only four of the sixteen fonts I have macronised actually have the problem of no code points. All the other twelve fonts (which did install correctly) have the correct code points without any input from me.

I have a long way to go to fully understand font basics, but I am making progress!
Thanks, Blair.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Obviously you added the vowels in a different way when editing the fonts that have no code points.

If you use Insert Characters the code-points will be added. If you use Insert Glyphs by name the code-points will also be added. How did you add the extra glyphs?
KiwiBlair

Post by KiwiBlair »

In all cases I used the Insert Glyphs dialog and pasted in the names e.g amacron, emacron etc. then double clicked the empty character and copied and pasted in the appropriate glyph then added the macron by copy and paste.
In some cases I needed to first do Edit> Make Simple before I could adjust the macron position. I am wondering if that causes the difference?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I don't understand why the code points were missing, but the make simple command has nothing to do with it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology