Font getting cutoff in FontCreator, Windows, and others

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Jonne Haven

Font getting cutoff in FontCreator, Windows, and others

Post by Jonne Haven »

About a week ago I was excited to learn that Windows now seems to support CALT and Kerning. But there are issues I wondered if y'all might have some insight into. Attached is examples of my font getting cut off I couldn't circle all of them but there are many more than I circled in red. My glyphs do not go past winascent and windescent. Windows has some glitches the most annoying is the cutting off of fonts in List view...and it's only List view. Details view.... all seem to work fine.

I've tried changing font size to no avail. The problem occurs no matter how big or small I make the font. I've scoured the internet but there seems to be no solution so I thought I turn to some experts.
Example of font cutoff.jpg
Example of font cutoff.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 5988 times
Thanks

Jonne
Jonne Haven

Re: Font getting cutoff in FontCreator, Windows, and others

Post by Jonne Haven »

No takers?

Would it help if I sent my font to someone. Erwin?

Thanks!

Jonne
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Usually text has to fit an imaginary box in user interfaces.

You could adjust the vertical font line spacing, or make the outlines smaller, but both affect the appearance of your font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Thanks for your reply. Attached is my metric settings. Please advise on what and if something needs to be changed to fit that "imaginary box".

I appreciate it!
Font.png
Font.png (172.29 KiB) Viewed 5739 times
Blessings

Jonne
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Disable the "Include vertical spacing..." check box, as that is not relevant for your font.

Click the Calculate button within the Spacing area. If that doesn't solve the issue, you might need to downsize your glyph outlines, or increase the upem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Thanks Erwin for your reply and help. I tried the calculate and turned off the vertical spacing option to no avail. Forgive my ignorance but could you tell me what UPEM is?

Blessings Erwin!

Jonne
MikeW

Post by MikeW »

May I suggest looking at one of the system fonts and note what its values are? Then make yours the same, or at least similar.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Jonne Haven wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:13 pmForgive my ignorance but could you tell me what UPEM is?
upem = Funits per em, usually 2048 for Windows fonts and 1000 for Mac fonts.

Font Properties, General
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Thanks for your replies.

It seems that windows doesn't allow for any modification that I'm aware of the font size working with it because even the default font, Segoe, cuts off if changed to anything above 9 point.

Does anyone know more about this?

I have tried scaling down my own font using FontCreator Scaling but that did not work either.

A bit frustrating but there are far worse things in life.

Any help would be appreciated.

Blessings,

Jonne
Jonne Haven

Post by Jonne Haven »

Jonne here.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

I think I've figured out how Windows treats foreign fonts. Windows seems to never have been intended to use anything but Segoe at 9 to 10 points (in List View). It is more pliable with most other views. I'm using Winaero Tweaker to change different compartments of windows. List view is the strictest facet. And the rules behind how List View works is not user friendly. Long story short and a lot of trial and error, a glyph height from top to bottom can only be approximately 2500 points. I squeezed in 2523 points without my largest glyph getting cut off. In other words, my properties for win ascent is 1868 and win descent is -655. I give each glyph a few points buffer from the win ascent and descent for safety.

Thanks for all who replied!

Blessings