Is there a way that can be used to make features designed for other language scripts work in custom script?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Veolaz

Is there a way that can be used to make features designed for other language scripts work in custom script?

Post by Veolaz »

I'm just trying to find a way that those features designed for other language scripts can be used in DFLT or custom languages not only just in the preview box but also can be used in real test.

For example,

Code: Select all

script CTOS {					//this is a custom name, also you can choose DFLT, latn, etc.
  feature InitialForms1;
  feature MedialForms1;
}

feature InitialForms1 init {				//this is an Arabic language feature
  lookup SingleSubstitution1;
}

feature MedialForms1 medi {			//also this one
  lookup SingleSubstitution2;
}

lookup SingleSubstitution1 {
  sub a -> b;
}

lookup SingleSubstitution2 {
  sub a -> c;
}
In this case if you type aaa it shows bca. However it is only functionable in the preview box instead of Test Font.
So is there any way to make these features functionable while testing or in-use, even though they are not in a language script that they are designed for?
Lancer21

Re: Is there a way that can be used to make features designed for other language scripts work in custom script?

Post by Lancer21 »

I'm hopping on that thread as well. I'm working in Russia with a partly French- and German-speaking team, and will soon have to work with Spanish speakers as we'll visit and do insurance quotes for these houses in Alicante for sale... So, I'll have to deal with quite the lot of languages!
Erwin Denissen

Re: Is there a way that can be used to make features designed for other language scripts work in custom script?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

These forms are not to be used with Latin script, but are meant for Arabic and other scripts that make use of joining properties.

So even though FontCreator supports it, Windows will not use these features for non joining scripts like Latin.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology