why read-only?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
paleolith

why read-only?

Post by paleolith »

I'm trying to edit a font that I last modified about a year ago. FontCreator acts like the font is read-only, though it doesn't exactly say so. But when I open a glyph, I can't select anything, even Select All fails to do anything. Ideas on what could be causing this?

The font file is in my user folder. It is not the installed font -- that's in Windows\Fonts.

I tried a Save As, but the new file also acts like it's read-only.

I made a new font and can edit as expected.

I'm running Windows 7 (for a little longer :D ) and FontCreator 5.6. Help says my license is registered. Yeah, it's old, but so am I. Anyway, it worked a year ago and very little has changed in my config.

Edward
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: why read-only?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Check the file attributes in Windows Explorer to see if it is read-only.

Try using Save As.. to a new file/folder.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
paleolith

Post by paleolith »

Thanks for the clues. A good night's sleep helped most. :shock: After checking the file attributes, I finally realized that the entire font wasn't read-only, just the glyph I was trying to edit. With lack of recent practice in FC, I had tried to copy one glyph and paste it into another and then edit it. Once I RTFM, I realized I was doing it all wrong. Wonder of wonders, do it right and it just works. 8) :lol:

Thanks again,

Edward
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We haven't installed that version in years, but I'm glad to know you've solved the puzzle.

I suspect it is related to composite glyphs. If you intend to do some more work with editing fonts, you might want to consider using the latest version of FontCreator as it comes with many improvements and new features.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
paleolith

Post by paleolith »

Thanks, Erwin ... yes, I expect I'll upgrade eventually. Probably when I get a new computer (mine is over ten years old), update to Win10, and update just about all the other software I'm running. I literally did not modify a font for 13 years until last year, and now I'm doing a little bit, so it's getting to be That Time. :shock:

Edward