type slash and some numbers disappear

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
murisa

Re: type slash and some numbers disappear

Post by murisa »

I still don't understand with the first point..
"Fix baseline/cap height alignment"..
can you give me an example too ?,
Because I already put all numbers and characters with zero pixel to Baseline, and capital letter to capsHeight line...
and I put the symbols somewhere in the middle..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The Cap Height for the font is currently 1434 funits.
Figure 3
Baseline = +1 funit, height of glyph = 1433 funits (See the size tab of the Transform Toolbar). Note that your horizontal guide is at 1432 funits, not 1434. Double-click the ruler to remove duplicate guides and to move guides to a precise position. Horizontal strokes are not perfectly horizontal. Use the status line at the bottom of the window to check the Y position of each node in points mode (easier if you smooth the serifs first, removing excess nodes). Vertical right side of glyph is not perfectly vertical (check the X position of the nodes).

Period
Y Position = -12 funits (no overshoot needed)

Figure 4

Vertical strokes not exactly vertical, overshoot greater at bottom (24 funits) than at top (8 funits).

Figure 7

Height = 1433 funits, no overshoot at baseline.

Capital A

Height = 1433 funits, no overshoot at baseline, left leg is at Y Position 0, but right leg is at Y Position = 4.

Capital B

Bottom at angle 177.70 deg, not 180.

Capital H

Height = 1434, no overshoot at top or bottom. This glyph is used by FontCreator to calculate Cap Height, so if you fix the overshoots the calculated Cap Height for the font, and the Cap Height guide will move. Set your guidelines manually to zero and 1434 to align glyphs with flat tops/bottoms correctly. Overshoot is required to align tops and bottoms of glyphs visually. Your guess is as good as mine as to how much is needed — 10 funits may be plenty. Whatever you decide looks right at regular sizes like 12 point text (use the Font Test window F5), should be used consistently top and bottom where overshoot is needed.

Missing Glyphs
See the Insert Characters Dialog, Latin-1 Supplement for glyphs that you might want to add to your font. £ sterling is missing, for English users though you have a Euro sign. Adding accented characters is a whole new topic. Think about that later when you're happy with the glyph outlines and font metrics.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
murisa

Post by murisa »

ok, I'll try to fix the errors..thanks Bhikku Pesala..
murisa

Post by murisa »

hi bhikku, please review my font again..which points I should make it better ?..thanks
brooklyn suggestions.fcp
(43.06 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Still some work to do. Look at these glyphs: _ 3 ; : 8 J Q a b h i k © ®
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
murisa

Post by murisa »

ok..already checked the glyphs, but I don't know where the errors is....maybe too many nodes ?..or the position is mistake ?..sorry for delay respond bhikku..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Figures 3 and 8
Bottom stroke is not horizontal
Semicolon Colon ; :
Contours do not match for height or position. Probably the comma and the semicolon both need to be flipped horizontally, but that is a design choice rather than an error. Look at ,,, in any other font.
Capital J and Q
No overshoot below the baseline
Ampersand @
Does not sit on the baseline or match cap height.
Size of (), [], {}
Usually bigger than Cap height. Again a design choice, rather than an error. Should be symmetrical.
Underscore _
Should be below the line, and match Font Properties, General, Underline size and position.
Lowercase a, b, d, etc.
Compare to lowercase c, which sits on baseline and touches x-height.
Lowercase x
Should overshoot the x-height. Set a guideline for x-height before modifying the x, because the calculated x-height is derived from the lowercase x. Lowercase c, e, g, m, n, p, q, s, etc., align to the guide, not the calculated x-height, while v, w, etc., need to overshoot the guide and align to the calculated x-height.
© and ®
Do not match cap height. Some font designs make them smaller and raised. Again a design decision if you want to go that way.
Trademark ™
Align to Cap Height.
cc, ss, ee ligatures
Gap between strokes is too small to be visible at usual sizes like 10 or 12 point. Ligature tt is OK.
£ Stirling
Does not sit on baseline. Bottom stroke is not horizontal.
murisa

Post by murisa »

thanks bhikku pesala..I'll try to fix it again..
murisa

Post by murisa »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:55 am
Lowercase x
Should overshoot the x-height. Set a guideline for x-height before modifying the x, because the calculated x-height is derived from the lowercase x. Lowercase c, e, g, m, n, p, q, s, etc., align to the guide, not the calculated x-height, while v, w, etc., need to overshoot the guide and align to the calculated x-height.
I still don't understand with this point.

1. Should I make a guideline over x-height line and overshoot the lowercase x to touch this guideline ?
2. another lowercase like c, e, g, m, n, p, q, s, etc ..should follow this way ?
3. "..while v, w, etc., need to overshoot the guide and align to the calculated x-height. .." I have no idea about this..I really can't figure it out..

maybe a picture will be great to help me solve this all...thanks bhikku pesala..you are such a good and patient guru for me..
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Set guidelines for baseline and x-height for glyphs that do not need any overshoot, like c, e, s, etc. Note that the horizontal strokes of lowercase a should also align to these guidelines.
x-height without overshoot.png
x-height without overshoot.png (16.47 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
Select two nodes that are exactly at the same y-position and press shortcut "g" to create a guideline, or double-click the ruler to set guides precisely.
Overshoot.png
Overshoot.png (21.58 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
The lowercase x will overshoot both the baseline and the x-height guide.
Calculate Font Metrics.png
Calculate Font Metrics.png (21.21 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
In font properties, metrics, click on calculate, and FontCreator will calculate the font's x-height and Cap Height based on lowercase x and uppercase H respectively.
x-height with overshoot.png
x-height with overshoot.png (34.12 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
After calculation of the metrics, you have two guides: one for glyphs with overshoot like v, w, x, u, and one for letters like a, c, e, b, d, e, f, g, etc., which do not overshoot the x-height. The purpose of overshoot is to make the tops and bottoms of the glyphs used in text look aligned when the font is used at normal sizes, or when poster sizes are viewed from a distance.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Important Note: x-height = 958 and Cap Height = 1434 are only the default values for a new font. The template is based on my free font Garava.

When designing a font you do not need to limit yourself to these values. Open a few common Windows fonts to see how their proportions and font metrics differ. This is the lowercase from Tahoma Regular. Note how the "n" sits on the baseline, and the left stem reaches the x-height line, but the bowl of the "n" overshoots the x-height, and how the "o" and "s" glyphs overshoot both the x-height and baseline by some distance (about 30 funits).
Tahoma lowercase overshoot.png
Tahoma lowercase overshoot.png (25.63 KiB) Viewed 6404 times
murisa

Post by murisa »

so with this tahoma font, they have rule that every bowl font should overshoot the caps height and baseline (a, c, e, g, m etc..). I can follow this rule but I can make my own rule, but it should consistent...is that correct bhikku ?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The amount of overshoot that looks right will vary from font to font, so yes, you can make your own rules as long as you apply them consistently. It looks like you may need rather more overshoot than you currently have.
murisa

Post by murisa »

Here is another update version from my font...I hope this is the better one..
please check it bhikku pesala...thanks..
brooklyn suggestions.fcp
(43.51 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Look again at !, $, &, *, @, i, j, k, l, m, n, u, {}, (), [], © ® and £