Finding points

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
KevinK

Finding points

Post by KevinK »

I have some complex glyphs and they have a number of redundant and suspicious points. The problem I have is I am having huge problems finding them so I can fix them. Is there some quick way of finding/going to a point index? I 'think' they are highlighted in green (the manual doesn't mention it), if that's correct can I change it to, say, red or make it larger?

Incidentally, when you run the validator (F7) the pop up disappears at the end on complex glyphs. You have to press F4 and then close that pop up to make it reappear.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Finding points

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Double-click the error message in the Validation dialog (F7) to highlight the error.
Locate Glyph Error.png
Locate Glyph Error.png (16.38 KiB) Viewed 2866 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
KevinK

Post by KevinK »

I tried that and this is the result.
error.png
error.png (457.49 KiB) Viewed 2860 times
I am finding it difficult to find the error point(s). It is possible to get the coordinates (such as for direction or intersecting coordinates)?

Thanks
KevinK

Post by KevinK »

In contour mode it shows nothing at all.
error2.png
error2.png (388.1 KiB) Viewed 2856 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Just double-click the specific item in the Validation tool window. That ensures that the issue is positioned exactly in the center. Then type 10000 in the zoom edit box and press enter. If you don't see an issue at that location, then be sure the Validation items are not outdated. To do that, just click the Refresh toolbar icon.

Alternatively increase the validation limits, so that you can actually see the issues.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
KevinK

Post by KevinK »

The problem only occurs with glyphs with a lot of points. The only the solution is to find the find the contour index and then follow it round point by point until you get to the unmarked rogue point.

Is there any way of fixing this?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If you click the zoom in button to zoom in to the maximum, the suspicious point should be easily visible in the centre of the window. If that fails, press the "g" shortcut to add two orthogonal guides at the selected node.
Suspicious point.png
Suspicious point.png (1.39 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486