Error opening OTF font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
JesterMania

Error opening OTF font

Post by JesterMania »

I copied an OTF font from OSX 10.3 and installed it on Windows XP and it works perfectly. However, when I try and open this OTF font with Font Creator 5.0, it gives me an error saying,

"Error opening FONT.OTF. Wrong DICT bytes 12 30"

I have no idea what this error message means, so I'm wondering why Font Creator refuses to open this font. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you send a copy of your font directly to me? I'll see if I can identify your problem.

The font is only used for the purpose of reproducing and understanding the reported problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
JesterMania

Post by JesterMania »

Sure, I've e-mailed the font to you.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thanks for sending the font file.

I've been able to locate the problem. It will be fixed in the next upcoming release. There is no release date decided yet, but you can expect it within a couple of weeks. Only minor bug fixes will be solved in that release.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
sevry7

Post by sevry7 »

Erwin Denissen wrote:Thanks for sending the font file.

I've been able to locate the problem. It will be fixed in the next upcoming release. There is no release date decided yet, but you can expect it within a couple of weeks. Only minor bug fixes will be solved in that release.
I like the idea of expanding fonts even further. But this open type thing doesn't appear to be supported in Win98SE and 2000. I looks like they'd prefer to use different tables in open type rather than whatever is used, now, for composities, to create similar lookup compound glyphs. And there is the ability to let the engine perform ligature substitutions rather than require some odd cell or code for each separate ligature (making keyword searches impossible). In different 'contexts' you can throw out ANY glyph and preserve lookup. Which sounds great. But again, the 'volt'/open type thing just doesn't seem as well supported as basic Truetype with composites, and separate ligature glyphs. But someone correct me if I'm wrong. I actually would prefer to have the ligatures available, but not have to call them out specifically - obviously - but have it done automatically while still preserving the ability for keyword searches.