How is Baseline.sups calculated?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

How is Baseline.sups calculated?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

If I resize a superscript glyph upwards, the CapHeight.sups metrics line moves up with it.
CapHeight.sups.png
CapHeight.sups.png (8.23 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
However, if I resize a superscript glyph downwards, the Baseline.sups metrics line does not move.

In my font, with a CapHeight of 1434, the Baseline.sups is at 550 font units. Font Properties, General, Calculate changes nothing. Superscript y offset is calculated to 539 font units.
Baseline.sups.png
Baseline.sups.png (7.84 KiB) Viewed 2480 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Re: How is Baseline.sups calculated?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I think it gets the baseline from x.sups.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Yes. It does. Thanks.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I will add some more information about these special metrics to the Metrics Options topic in help and manual:

More metrics will be shown if a glyph name contains a suffix. If your font contains a set of superscript glyphs that have glyph names with a .sups suffix, CapHeight.sups, x-Height.sups, and Baseline.sups will also be shown. Their position is based on the top and bottom of the H and x. Several Capital related suffixes (.c2sc, .smcp, .c2pc, .pcap, .pc, and .sc) also base the position on the top of h.

Would that make sense?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:33 pm I will add some more information about these special metrics to the Metrics Options topic in help and manual:
Would that make sense?
I would rephrase it slightly. A screenshot may help for those who don't have English as their first language. Maybe this is over-kill, but it might help some users.
Superscript Metrics.png
Superscript Metrics.png (10.33 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
More metrics will be shown if a glyph name contains a suffix. If your font contains a set of superscript glyphs that have glyph names with a .sups suffix, CapHeight.sups, x-Height.sups, and Baseline.sups will also be shown. Their position is based on the top of the H and the top and bottom of the x.
Baseline.subs.png
Baseline.subs.png (6.55 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
This is also the case if your font contains a set of subscript glyphs that have glyph names with a .subs suffix.
Several Capital related suffixes (.c2sc, .smcp, .c2pc, .pcap, .pc, and .sc) also show additional metrics based on the top and bottom of the h.
Petite Capital Metrics.png
Petite Capital Metrics.png (7.67 KiB) Viewed 2448 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I will add first and last of the 3 screenshots.

I have made some more changes to the text, as it is a little more complex:

More metrics will be shown if a glyph name contains a suffix. For example, if your font contains a set of superscript glyphs that have glyph names with a .sups suffix, CapHeight.sups, x-Height.sups, and Baseline.sups will also be shown. Their position is based on the top of the H.sups and the top and bottom of the x.sups.

Several Capital related suffixes (.c2sc, .smcp, .c2pc, .pcap, .pc, and .sc) will only show additional CapHeight and Baseline, based on the top and bottom of the H or h with the same suffix.

Hope this enlightens it a bit more.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

That's better. I think many users will not realise the sophistication of FontCreator if these things are not fully documented.