Create Unicode Devanagari font from a simple TTF

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
hjs.sumit

Create Unicode Devanagari font from a simple TTF

Post by hjs.sumit »

Hi

I have a TTF font file of shreelipi714 which is not a Unicode font, I want to convert this font into Unicode Devanagari font like

Noto Sans Devanagari

Because I want to use the glyph shapes of my previously designed font.

The font file example is attached below and I want to convert it the font like google Noto Sans Devanagri font.

Can you please guide me how it is possible though FontCreator with less effort.

Thanking You
Sumit

[moderator removed file DV_MEW_Shree0714.ttf due to possible copyright violations]
Attachments
NotoSans-Regular.ttf
Example font : require to import glyph of old ansi font
(389.62 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Create Unicode Devanagari font from a simple TTF

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but there is no easy way. I have no experience of creating Devanagari fonts, but looking at the code in the code editor reveals how much work was involved in developing it.

Noto Sans contains almost thirty thousand lines of code. You could easily change the ANSI encoded glyphs to the correct Unicode encodings, but that is not even a fraction of what needs to be done to make it work correctly as an OpenType font.

The Apache License for Noto Sans might, I believe, allow you to copy your glyphs to the Unicode Devanagari code-points, but I would be amazed if the font would still work as intended with the different glyphs.

A quick copy paste of a couple of glyphs show the spacing problems that result.

Ka-deva.png
Ka-deva.png (63.49 KiB) Viewed 1899 times

To convert your font to Unicode, select Noto Sans as the Sample font in FontCreator Options, View, Font used in cells. Enable Show sample in empty glyphs, then insert the full Devanagari character set: 2304-2431 (hex = $0900-$097F) and copy/paste your glyphs to the appropriate cells. Then you have a Unicode font, but not one with OpenType features like Noto Sans.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
dhiman4us@gmail.com

Post by dhiman4us@gmail.com »

@hjs.sumit It is an illegal action..because Shreelipi is not a open source font file..you must get the permission from the authority before doing it..
@admin I think this type of post should not be approved and must be deleted..Thanks
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have removed the concerning font file from the initial post.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology