How to copy-paste ligatures from one font to another?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
rediffusion

How to copy-paste ligatures from one font to another?

Post by rediffusion »

Hi all! :)

I have "Fira Code.ttf" and I want to copy ligatures then paste in this font "Droid Sans Mono.otf". Is it possible?
Please give me the manual on the link to video tutorial (maybe YouTube or something). It will be appreciated!

Best Regards!
Last edited by rediffusion on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How to copy-paste ligatures from one font in another?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Look in Font Properties, Legal, and see whether the license of both fonts allow you to copy and make changes.

Edit: Both fonts seems to have Open licenses, so copy/paste between the fonts is OK, provided you apply the same license conditions to your derivative of Droid Sans Mono.otf with the additional ligatures.

I guess your real question is how to make add the OpenType code to make use of the extra glyphs.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
rediffusion

Re: How to copy-paste ligatures from one font to another?

Post by rediffusion »

Hi bro, thanks for your response.

I find a manual on GitHub about NerdFonts. I watched tutorial on YouTube.

Used this commands in Terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo su
cd /home/nika/nerd-fonts/

apt install python3-pip

sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:fontforge/fontforge
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fontforge

fontforge -script font-patcher /mnt/c/Users/nika/Downloads/CascadiaCodePL.ttf -c
Also I wrote an issue but no response to my question?

P.S. ··· CascadiaCodePL.ttf font I used for example.

Best regards! :)
Erwin Denissen

Re: How to copy-paste ligatures from one font to another?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

rediffusion wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:39 pm Hi all! :)

I have "Fira Code.ttf" and I want to copy ligatures then paste in this font "Droid Sans Mono.otf". Is it possible?
Please give me the manual on the link to video tutorial (maybe YouTube or something). It will be appreciated!

Best Regards!
There are two things that need to be done:
1) Copy and paste the ligatures from your source font into the destination font. You might need to insert glyphs to the destination font, so you can paste the ligatures there.
2) Add the related OpenType layout feature code to the destination font. It is most likely located in the liga feature in your source font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology