Creating an ancient font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Creating an ancient font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
deuterium_1

Post by deuterium_1 »

Many thanks Bhikkhu

I tried to use the colour palette and it changed almost all the circles to grey:

I am only looking to change some of the colours of the circles not all.

I look forward to your thoughts on this
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Each different colour requires its own glyph member. The hollow circles in your screen shot are also grey.

Look again at the tutorial on Multi-coloured Glyphs that I linked to earlier.

Take a look at the multi-coloured glyphs in the Odana.fcp font project attached to that tutorial to see how multi-coloured glyphs are constructed.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
deuterium_1

Post by deuterium_1 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 pm Each different colour requires its own glyph member. The hollow circles in your screen shot are also grey.

Look again at the tutorial on Multi-coloured Glyphs that I linked to earlier.

Take a look at the multi-coloured glyphs in the Odana.fcp font project attached to that tutorial to see how multi-coloured glyphs are constructed.
Thank you Bhikkhu

I am going to work on adding 70 numeral glyphs to create the 1st font. I will go through and flag any issues I find with the glyphs but I have finally figured how to align the glyphs properly so they don't overlap each when I test them using Font Creator's font testing box

The main form font contains more than 1400 characters so I would have to creare multiple fonts as this exceeds what is on the a keyboard.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

deuterium_1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:30 amThe main form font contains more than 1400 characters so I would have to create multiple fonts as this exceeds what is on the a keyboard.
That should not be necessary. There is only one "a" on the keyboard, but I can type a à á ä ã â A À Á Ä Ã Â etc.

Just install an extended keyboard in Windows Settings, Time and Language, Language, Keyboard.
deuterium_1

Post by deuterium_1 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:38 am
deuterium_1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:30 amThe main form font contains more than 1400 characters so I would have to create multiple fonts as this exceeds what is on the a keyboard.
That should not be necessary. There is only one "a" on the keyboard, but I can type a à á ä ã â A À Á Ä Ã Â etc.

Just install an extended keyboard in Windows Settings, Time and Language, Language, Keyboard.
Thank you Bhikku

I am working through the numerals.

For some reason when I import the SVG files into Font Creator, it is very small so I have to expand it. It has created issues with this glyph:

How do I make the axis on top wider? I would like to make the glyph larger

You can see its small size compared to other glyphs:

deuterium_1

Post by deuterium_1 »

Hi all

Apologies for the delays in replying due to personal reasons

I have continued working on the font

I have encountered this issue with the glyphs, there appears to be some issue with how the vector image is represented in Font Creator:

I look forward to hearing what your thoughts are on what might be happening here
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

You need to ensure the contour direction is correct. You can read all about this in the user manual.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
deuterium_1

Post by deuterium_1 »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:16 pm You need to ensure the contour direction is correct. You can read all about this in the user manual.
That means I have to use quadratic beziers?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

deuterium_1 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:27 pm
Erwin Denissen wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:16 pm You need to ensure the contour direction is correct. You can read all about this in the user manual.
That means I have to use quadratic beziers?
Not really, unless you want to maintain overlapping contours, which is not recommended with non-variable fonts.

You just need to make sure inner contours have the opposite direction of outer contours. The manual explain this.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
deuterium_1

Post by deuterium_1 »

Which section of the manual deals with this?

I have now exhaused most letters, how do I test these?. For example, the upside exclamation is only really used on Spanish keyboards:

Out of these, I only have a £ symbol as I live in the UK
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

deuterium_1 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:31 pm Out of these, I only have a £ symbol as I live in the UK
If the font is for personal use, you don't need to include any glyphs that you know you will never use. However, to reach a wider market it is best to include glyphs for the main world languages like Spanish, German, and Polish/Czech.