Kerning Pairs

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Rodney Vicik

Kerning Pairs

Post by Rodney Vicik »

I am having trouble using the Open Type Designer to kern pairs. The pair spacing shown in the large grid window does not match the spacing shown in the small preview/selection window near the bottom of the screen.
Kerning Pair AV.jpg
Kerning Pair AV.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 1881 times
I produced a font prior to this one without these issues. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated?
The LSB and RSB for both the A and V are set to 1 if that helps.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Kerning Pairs

Post by Erwin Denissen »

The preview area shows all enabled features; in your case it applies both pair adjustment lookups. I suspect you have the pair in both, and then they add up.

You can easily see what exactly happens if you click the second toolbar button on the upper left side. Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Rodney Vicik

Post by Rodney Vicik »

This is the screenshot of my second toolbar button dropdown. Unfortunately, I really don't know what I am looking at or how to fix the problem.
Kerning Pair AV 2.jpg
Kerning Pair AV 2.jpg (94.26 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It confirms both lookups have the AV kerning pair. It is highly uncommon to have a kern pair in more than one lookup, so either remove the kern pair in one of the lookpus, or maybe even remove one of the lookups, as usually one should be enough for basic Latin.
Rodney Vicik wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:57 pm This is the screenshot of my second toolbar button dropdown. Unfortunately, I really don't know what I am looking at or how to fix the problem.
You can click one of the items in the view to reveal its location in your OpenType layout features.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Rodney Vicik

Post by Rodney Vicik »

I deleted the second lookup and it solved the problem. Thank you!!!