Change the insertion point of a font glyph for GIS use

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Nick-Apostolakis

Change the insertion point of a font glyph for GIS use

Post by Nick-Apostolakis »

Arcmap is a GIS software programs that uses fonts for symbols, what I am trying to do is have the insertion point (rotation point) for this glyph in the font to be the middle right side (see picture Font) but when I open it up in arcmap it defaults it to the center of the glyph (see picture arcmap font), is there some way i can tell the font to center on the middle right side. Yes you can offset the font in arcmap to achieve this and was used in the past but short answer is there is a bug right now in the software that causes problems if you use an offset in arcmap.

any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
arcmap font.PNG
arcmap font.PNG (43.71 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
font.PNG
font.PNG (128.89 KiB) Viewed 2093 times
Nick-Apostolakis

Re: Change the insertion point of a font glyph for GIS use

ok I have has some success in playing around with the settings if the symbol needs to be centered in this example on the middle right side. I was able to set the bearing to half the size of the symbol and offset it to cause the affect I need (see the settings and results below). I just now have to figure out how to do one with a lower right hand corner insertion, how do you adjust the vertical equivalent on the horizontal bearings.
Attachments
Arcmap new font.PNG
Arcmap new font.PNG (28.09 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
new font.PNG
new font.PNG (64.28 KiB) Viewed 2066 times
Nick-Apostolakis

Ok, with the previous posts I was able to cause a horizontal alignment that I want, but now I have a 45 degree symbol and the horizontal alignment is good with the right side at x=0, but how can I force a similar effect on the vertical alignment as I want the insertion point to be the bottom right corner. see examples of where I am currently.
Attachments
GSI 45 Symbol Result.PNG
GSI 45 Symbol Result.PNG (25.78 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
GSI 45 Symbol.PNG
GSI 45 Symbol.PNG (62.04 KiB) Viewed 2038 times
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Do change the Win Ascent (Top) and Win Descent (Bottom) available through Font Properties -> Metrics, and let us know if that solves the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Nick-Apostolakis

the settings were 782 for Win Ascent and -782 for Win Decent, I changed the win Decent to 0 and left the other as is just to see what the results would be, the result is no effect on the one I wanted to change, but it had a negative effect on all of my other glyphs that are to be centered or center right. (see attachments).
Attachments
Win Decent test1.PNG
Win Decent test1.PNG (29.77 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Win Decent test2.PNG
Win Decent test2.PNG (26.15 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Nick-Apostolakis

I think for now since the problem is for a 45 degree font, and I have figured out how to center horizontally, I think I am just going to rotate the font 45 degrees to a horizontal state and just do a mass update and remove the 45 degrees from the symbol rotation in GIS, which should still give me the desired result.