Standardizing fonts, validate against a standard list of characters?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
RickDe

Standardizing fonts, validate against a standard list of characters?

Post by RickDe »

I need to Standardize 40 Fonts and their Bold, Italic and Bold Italic variants for common basic English and Spanish.

Using FontCreator 13.0

For this I need to do 2 things.

-Make sure it has the most common characters (Roughly 200)
-Remove any character not in the standard list. (To reduce file size for a web application)

Currently I'm doing those two things mostly manually. I use the Unicode section to complete Basic Latin, Latin-1, and then Paste in a collection of character names using Insert Glyphs. Then I go through each Unicode section and remove the glyphs manually. After that sometimes there are unmapped glyphs, so I have to go to "Glyphs" and remove them.

I suspect this maybe easier with a script, but looking at the ones available, I'm not sure where to get started.

It's currently taking me about 2-3 hours per font family. I do more than the two items above like reviewing and fixing kerning and inserting or creating the missing characters. I'm concerned I might be missing a character or 2 since I'm inserting manually.

Any helpful tips would be awesome.

Thanks in Advance!

-Rick
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Standardizing fonts, validate against a standard list of characters?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Try the Eastern Europe Transform script.

It inserts a lot more glyphs than you need just for Spanish, so you will need to modify it to suit your needs.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
RickDe

Post by RickDe »

Thanks Bhikkhu!

Here is the script I created for Spanish.

For anyone else reading this. Modifying the xml scripts is quite easy. You just need the dec values for the characters you want to insert.
Attachments
Spanish.xml
(3 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I recommend replacing the modifier accents with combining diacritical marks.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486