chaining context substitution - anchor problem

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
NinnaD

chaining context substitution - anchor problem

Post by NinnaD »

I have:
- 2 classes: base glyphs & marks
- mark positioning: base + mark (using the 2 classes)
- chaining context substitution: backtrack (base), input (mark), substitution table (2 other marks)

What I'm trying to achieve is substitute mark A with mark B if a certain base is used. Separately,

- mark attachment with a defined anchor works:
img01.png
img01.png (123.8 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
img02.png
img02.png (123.48 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

- substitution works:
img03.png
img03.png (112.95 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
img04a.png
img04a.png (10.58 KiB) Viewed 2256 times
BUT using substitution plus mark attachment with a defined anchor doesn't. When mark A is substituted with B, B is added to the right side of base ignoring the anchor (e.g. img04a above, or img04b from Word):
img04b.png
img04b.png (23.29 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

Interestingly, the preview in the OpenType Designer window shows them working correctly at the same time:
img05.png
img05.png (63.68 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

Is there something I can do to make it work properly?

Thank you for your help,
Ninna
Erwin Denissen

Re: chaining context substitution - anchor problem

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Not all shaping engines behave the same, so also try if it works in a Web Font test.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

Thank you for your reply.
What I couldn't figure out was why FC's OT Designer preview showed it correctly, while FC's Test Font preview didn't.
Anyway, I feel silly to say the fault was mine, but maybe posting it here will help someone else in the future: the problem was caused by & solved (in the case of substitution marks):
Glyph Properties > (More>>>) > Extra Info > "Automatic" (Mark), which should have been "Mark", not "Automatic".
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:14 pm What I couldn't figure out was why FC's OT Designer preview showed it correctly, while FC's Test Font preview didn't.
The OT Designer preview uses our own shaping engine. Test Font preview uses one that comes with Windows. And what the Web Font test uses depends on the web browser.
NinnaD wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:14 pm Anyway, I feel silly to say the fault was mine, but maybe posting it here will help someone else in the future: the problem was caused by & solved (in the case of substitution marks):
Glyph Properties > (More>>>) > Extra Info > "Automatic" (Mark), which should have been "Mark", not "Automatic".
I am glad to know the problem is solved, although both Automatic (Mark) and Mark should produce the same font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

It didn't in Word 365, so maybe there is some issue there. I'm just happy I got it to work :D