Use hyphen as space

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Use hyphen as space

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

How can I change the hyphen character into a second kind of space?

The font I am working on is a cypher, and I want to use numbers and letters for the cyphers, but I need special spacing. I want to use a hyphen or underscore as a small space and the regular space as a large one (I know there are other codepoints for that, but I want to keep things really simple for converting regular text to the cypher).

As it is, if I empty the glyph for the hyphen and fix the left and right bearings, it is interpreted as a missing glyph.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Use hyphen as space

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We warning about an incomplete character is only a way to inform you about a possible issue in your font. We still recommend to use the specific spacing characters for your purpose, but feel free to make the font they way you feel it best suits your needs.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Hi, Mr. Denissen,

Okay, so how do I make the hyphen glyph not get replaced by .notdef when there are no vectors in the glyph?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:32 pm Hi, Mr. Denissen,

Okay, so how do I make the hyphen glyph not get replaced by .notdef when there are no vectors in the glyph?
It seems you deleted the first glyph, which should always be the .notdef glyph. Just put it back, and all should work just fine.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Brother Gabriel-Marie

No, I have the .notdef glyph.

Actually, the hyphen renders as a space in MainType, but in InDesign CS6 it is displayed as .notdef.