Problem applying a font (keeps reverting in Word)

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
akerbeltz

Problem applying a font (keeps reverting in Word)

Post by akerbeltz »

I'm working with a unified CJK font, so certain characters are styled differently than I'd like (I'm looking for HK). The font does support some character variants but not for all the characters I'm looking for, so I figured I would create a variant of the font i.e. tweak the character(s) I need tweaked, export only those and then use this "mini font" when I need the variant.

I managed to tweak the character, I renamed the font under Font > Properties to [name HK Variants], I marked all other characters to be excluded from export, I exported the font and installed it. I checked, Windows shows it as installed and the preview even displays the right variants. But in Word, when I select the variant "font" for the character, it flips to PMingLiU. I know Windows has issues with chosen CJK fonts not sticking throughout a document but I've not come across the issue where a single word/character font choice does not stick. Am I doing something wrong I wonder?
Erwin Denissen

Re: Problem applying a font (keeps reverting in Word)

Post by Erwin Denissen »

By default Unicode and Codepage character ranges are automatically updated on export. Since your subset font lacks a lot of characters, it is likely a required range is now excluded.

So do go to Font Properties -> Ranges and uncheck "Automatically update character ranges...".

Let us know if that solves the problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
akerbeltz

Re: Problem applying a font (keeps reverting in Word)

Post by akerbeltz »

Ah problem solved - well, you put me on the right track. I unticked as you said but that didn't fix but then I just grabbed Latin-1 and included it in the export and that together with the tick solved the problem. Thanks!