Creating a font for a book I am publishing

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Ronnoc614

Creating a font for a book I am publishing

Post by Ronnoc614 »

Hello,

I am currently considering buying a version of Font Creator in order to export a font for use in a book I am self publishing. Does this require me to buy the professional version even if the font is embedded in the file and not accessible as a font file by customers who buy my print/ebook?

Thank you,
Erwin Denissen

Re: Creating a font for a book I am publishing

Post by Erwin Denissen »

If people have to pay for the book, then the home edition won't do. You either need the standard or professional edition.

However we are reconsidering this license restriction, so maybe in a couple of weeks we might remove it.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Ronnoc614

Post by Ronnoc614 »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:16 pm If people have to pay for the book, then the home edition won't do. You either need the standard or professional edition.

However we are reconsidering this license restriction, so maybe in a couple of weeks we might remove it.
I see... Well as it stands now I will barely be using this tool in the future as I am not a font designer. The only reason I need it now is to create a font for my magical runeword language in my book in order to have it scalable for ebooks when zooming in and out on text. I would be willing to pay the $49 right now for this purpose. However, the $149 price is too steep for me only using this 1 time.

I suppose I will wait to see if this changes, until then I will just create raster images of my language glyphs and embed those into the book manually.

P.S. I also would like to point out, I doubt there's even a way to find out if a user (who owns the home edition) creates a font for a book or ebook since there is no way to see the how the font was created once it is embedded into a PDF/EPUB/Mobi file or printed onto paper. Now, I am an honest person and don't want karma coming back on me so I will stick to doing things the honest way. However, I am sure other people haven't been as honest. Just some food for thought :wink:
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

You could use Inkscape to create .SVG versions of the glyphs and embed those in your book. SVG is scalable.

Or you could supply a friendly creator of free fonts with the drawings of your glyphs to embed in one of his free fonts.