FCP font exported to TTF giving "not valid file type" error

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
nexus7

FCP font exported to TTF giving "not valid file type" error

Post by nexus7 »

Hi

I've created a font set using FC evaluation version in Windows 10. When I export to ttf/otf file it appears in the font folder containing FCP font files as ttf but when I try to install or copy to main font store I'm getting this error message "the file [name].ttf does not appear to be a valid font " . Any ideas? I thought evaluation version had all functions except was watermarked...

Cheers in advance
Last edited by Bhikkhu Pesala on Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: FCP font exported to TTF giving "not valid file type" error

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Can you preview the font in the Font Test window within FontCreator?

If so, you can preview the temporary font created with other applications while the font test window remains open.

As far as I know, you should be able to export a valid, but watermarked, font. If you can attach the Font Project *.fcp file to the forum, we can take a look at it

Are you using the latest version of FontCreator?
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It seems the auto hinter causes problems with the font. Most likely because it is a symbol font. Since auto hinting is not suitable for symbol fonts, do disable it in the Font Export Settings dialog. Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
nexus7

Post by nexus7 »

Hi there - the auto hinting turned off has worked and font has exported fine now - thanks so much for the prompt help Erwin!