Importing font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
scs

Importing font

Post by scs »

Hi!!

I have finished my first font and exported the files in .otf / .ttf / .woff and .woff2.
After exporting the files I have notice that I have to make some small changings in some letters. Unfortantly I had a problem on my computador and lost the .fcp file.
Can you please tell me with what file I can open to make the changes in my font?

Thank you for all the help.

SCS
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Importing font

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Just open the TTF/OTF and save it as a new font project.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
scs

Post by scs »

Thank you for your answer.
I just did that. I notice that in the "class manager", the classes that I had disappeared. In fact there is only one of the ones I had inserted...

Thank you.
SCS
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I suspect that unused classes will not be exported. In my case the exported OTF has more kerning classes and all have been renamed. A bit of a mess to sort out, but all necessary classes look to be present. One cannot over-emphasise the importance of keeping multiple backups of any important work, preferable on DropBox or at least on external USB sticks. I just had my PC fail to wake up from sleep, so I had to reboot. Fortunately, I have learnt to backup significant work at once rather than put it off until the end of the day, so I lost nothing more than a few minutes restoring recent changes from my backups.
Kern Classes.png
Kern Classes.png (35.36 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:16 am I suspect that unused classes will not be exported.
That is correct. An exported font will only contain data that is required to make it work as intended. Information used during the design of your font (like all features, including unused features, lookups, glyph classes, but also anchor names, guidelines, etc) is stored in the font project.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
scs

Post by scs »

Thank you for your reply.
I realized that I will have to do the classes again...
I´m going to make more backups of everything in the future so it doesn´t happen again. I learned the lesson.

Thanks for the help.