Two ligature errors

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Dan Kreider

Two ligature errors

Post by Dan Kreider »

Hi, I have two ligature errors I can't figure out! Here is the project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2odj3o3j07w44 ... 2.fcp?dl=0

1. typing ub should produce an upbow symbol (looks like a V). It renders fine in the Preview, but it does not work correctly when I install the font.

2. Qdb/ should produce a diamond notehead with no stem. It displays correctly in Word, but when I export to PDF, it displays the Qdb ligature with a slash after it. Oddly enough, when I type the same ligature in Dorico and output it as PDF, it does display correctly.

Any suggestions? I can't figure it out... Thanks.
Dan Kreider
Music engraving and hymnal publishing
dankreider.com
hymnworks.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Two ligature errors

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

All seems to be working fine here in Serif PagePlus and LibreOffice. I do not use Word.

The Ligature 1 lookup is empty and seems to be superfluous. Deleting that does not seem to make any difference.
Attachments
Music Glyphs.pdf
(5.96 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
LibreOffice Music Glyphs.pdf
(4.21 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Dan Kreider wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 am Hi, I have two ligature errors I can't figure out! Here is the project: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2odj3o3j07w44 ... 2.fcp?dl=0

1. typing ub should produce an upbow symbol (looks like a V). It renders fine in the Preview, but it does not work correctly when I install the font.
It works just fine in the software I used for testing; the Font Test dialog in FontCreator, Firefox, and Word. So maybe your software does not fully support ligatures, maybe (as Bhikkhu Pesala already mentioned) removing the empty lookup might fix this problem.
Dan Kreider wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:18 am 2. Qdb/ should produce a diamond notehead with no stem. It displays correctly in Word, but when I export to PDF, it displays the Qdb ligature with a slash after it. Oddly enough, when I type the same ligature in Dorico and output it as PDF, it does display correctly.
When I try this in Word and produce a PDF, it works just fine.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

I'm still completely stumped on the upbow mark. I cannot get it to display correctly in Word or Dorico. Other users have confirmed that it does not work for them in Word or Dorico.

I previously had no problem displaying this as a ligature, and all the other 212 ligatures display correctly.

I've tried everything: deleting the ligature and re-creating it... assigning it to completely different and random key combinations... Nothing works. I simply cannot get the V mark to display correctly.

A computer restart seemed to fix the other notehead slash issue, but this does not work.
Dan Kreider
dankreider.com
hymnworks.com
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Dan Kreider wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:09 pm I'm still completely stumped on the upbow mark. I cannot get it to display correctly in Word or Dorico. Other users have confirmed that it does not work for them in Word or Dorico.
It does work in Word, I am using the latest version. It is hard to understand the issue; maybe Word automatically capitalizes the first characters, so it shows Ub which does not get substituted to your V.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

That’s correct that it capitalizes first words, which is very annoying, but I’ve ruled that out. I have tried this so many different ways that I think I will just delete those ligatures entirely. It is really unsettling that I can’t figure out what the problem is here. Thanks for your help.
Dan Kreider
dankreider.com
hymnworks.com
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

You seem to be doing fine. Debugging is not my idea of fun, but it is satisfying when you finally figure it out.

To save time in debugging fonts, don't bother to uninstall the old version and install the new one.

Open the Font Test window (F5) and select the test font in Word.
Select Test Font.png
Select Test Font.png (12.55 KiB) Viewed 2698 times
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Thanks to you both. I wonder if I had pushed out too many versions that were the same version number and Word got confused? Anyways, I uninstalled the font entirely, exported the corrected font as a new version, restarted the computer and installed the new version, and now it works.

I confess I don't entirely understand why, but one more thing to learn. Also, thank you for bringing my attention to the "test in Word" option, which will definitely save me time.

Best regard,
Dan
Dan Kreider
dankreider.com
hymnworks.com