different distances between the characters (symbols)

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Guenther

different distances between the characters (symbols)

Post by Guenther »

Hi,
I have created some symbols for a font that I use for my personal graphic needs. When I insert them one after the other in Word, I notice that some of the spacing is different.

My procedure:
1. symbols drawn in CorelDraw
2. converted each individual symbol into a bitmap in CorelDraw and saved it as a wmf file
3. changed this wmf-file in irfanView to 250x250 pixels and saved it as jpg
4. imported into FontCreator as image, set resize to 150 % and moved the graphic to the following coordinates: Y 1570 / -325, X 75 / 1965
5. same for all symbols

How does the different symbol spacing come about, does anyone have an explanation?
Symbols.jpg
Symbols.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 2249 times
best regards
Günther

Windows 11 - 23H2 - FontCreator Home Edition Version 14.0.0.2901 (64-bit)
Erwin Denissen

Re: different distances between the characters (symbols)

Post by Erwin Denissen »

It seems the side-bearing need some attention. You can set them in the glyph edit window and through the glyph properties toolwindow. It is al explained in the manual.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Guenther wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:46 pm 2. converted each individual symbol into a bitmap in CorelDraw and saved it as a wmf file
3. changed this wmf-file in irfanView to 250x250 pixels and saved it as jpg
Why are these extra steps necessary? You can import bitmaps into FontCreator, or simply copy/paste.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
Guenther

Post by Guenther »

Thank you for your feedback. I only use FontCreator as a hobby from time to time and don't have much experience with creating fonts, and I don't have the background information, which is also a science. That's why the explanations in the manual are often difficult for a layman to understand. Even more so, because I first have to translate it into German, then it's easier for me to understand.

@Erwin; I will have a closer look at the side-bearing, thank you.

@Bhikkhu; my approach was certainly a bit complicated, I had initially inserted the symbols in FontCreator by simply importing finished bitmaps and had already noticed the problem of the different distances, so I wanted to make sure that objects of the same size were actually created, hence the diversions via CorelDraw.
best regards
Günther

Guenther

Post by Guenther »

Hi Erwin,
I have set the side-bearings the same for all symbols, now it works perfectly. Thank you again.
best regards
Günther