Can't get lookahead CALT to work

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Dan Kreider

Can't get lookahead CALT to work

Post by Dan Kreider »

I've done lots of backtrack CALT's successfully, but I'm trying a lookahead. However, I can't get it to work.

I press the "n" which gives me a natural sign. When I then type a numeral, it should make the natural superscript, but it does not.

What am I missing? Maybe I'm not understanding "lookahead" correctly. I don't want anything for the backtrack because I want this to work no matter what comes before the "n." Thanks!

Dan Kreider
Music engraving and hymnal publishing
dankreider.com
hymnworks.com
Dan Kreider

Re: Can't get lookahead CALT to work

Post by Dan Kreider »

By the way, I thought you might like to see some samples of what I'm using this new font for. Except for the notes on the staff, everything else was typed in using simple, intuitive key combinations.

Dan Kreider
dankreider.com
hymnworks.com
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Dan Kreider wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:05 pm What am I missing? Maybe I'm not understanding "lookahead" correctly. I don't want anything for the backtrack because I want this to work no matter what comes before the "n." Thanks!
The lookup is not attached to a feature yet, hence " <-not used ".
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Dan Kreider

Post by Dan Kreider »

Got it, thanks! I just needed to drag the CALT into the ltn script.

So it seems that CALT lookups are not features until they're applied to one of the scripts? Am I saying that correctly?

Also, it seems that Single Substitutions are grouped as lookups, but I don't see them in the dflt or ltn scripts.
Dan Kreider
dankreider.com
hymnworks.com
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

OpenType features in a font will be applied if the shaping engine decides to process one or more features. Then all lookups within those features are applied, in general in the order of the lookups, as shown in the Lookups tree, from top to bottom.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology