Font with blank name

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
LizzieW

Font with blank name

Post by LizzieW »

Having recently purchased FontCreator, I followed the steps in your tutorial for creating a new font, giving it a simple name of Starmore. I made only one change in the steps you list, which was that, having created a basic glyph in Google Drawings and saving it as a .jpg file, I imported the single image into Font Creator in the upper-case A space. Following the instructions, I then installed the font. I then tested it in word processing programs only to discover that, when I opened the font list, my font showed up only as a blank line. In some cases it appeared with just the single glyph I created as the apparent name. I've been in the computer biz for over thirty yers, so I tested this effect carefully. Here are the tests I tried:

1. Created and installed the font on a six-year old Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 10 using the latest version of FontCreator, Version 13.0.0.2683.
2. Tested the installed font in the current version of Microsoft Word, running as part of Office 365. The font appears as a blank line.
3. Tested the font in Stitchmastery, which prefers True Type fonts. Here the font did not appear at all in the list of available fonts.
4. Created and installed the font on a three-year old Razer Blade running Windows 10 using the same version of FontCreator.
5. Tested the font in Apache's OpenOffice 4 (version 4.1.5). The font appears as a blank line.
6. Just for good measure, I again tested it in Office 365. Again, the font name appears as a blank line.

Interestingly, in both Word and OpenOffice, when I select the blank line in the font list, the name of the font appears in the font name window and the font works correctly.

I'm baffled. I noticed in your forum that you had several discussions of a similar problem in 2006, but your solutions don't seem to apply to my situation.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: Font with blank name

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

The font needs to contain at least enough glyphs to spell the font's name.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486