none similar web font smoothing/hinting

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
atefk

none similar web font smoothing/hinting

Post by atefk »

Hi,

i have created a font with size similar to Calibri Font. while trying to export to web font, the Calibri is looking sharper and better, i have copied the same letters from Calibri to my font for test, have made the exact parameters GENERAL/METRICS/SMOOTHING as Calibri. i have noticed that the Difference will be while putting KEEP ORIGINAL in FONT EXPORT SETTINGS, if putting AUTO HINTING or NO HINTING the fonts will be the same.
There is something in the Calibiri Parameters i couldn't get it..
Any help Please ?
Attachments
My Font With Calibri Letter @ size 12
My Font With Calibri Letter @ size 12
My Font.JPG (17.57 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
Calibri Font @ size 12
Calibri Font @ size 12
Calibri.JPG (17.46 KiB) Viewed 2409 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: none similar web font smoothing/hinting

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Calibri has been manually hinted by experts. It took them many months to get it that good. You might want to take a look at Microsoft Visual TrueType (VTT) in case you want to improve the way your fonts look on screen:

https://docs.microsoft.com/typography/tools/vtt/
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
atefk

Post by atefk »

So Erwin, based on your reply i can assume that there are some Hinting parameters which cannot be adjusted through FontCreator and you have to go through another software to do so?
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

FontCreator only uses a third-party library, TTF Autohint for automatic font hinting. There is an *.ini file in the FontCreator Program folder, but I have never tried adjusting the paremeters.

Code: Select all

[autohinting]
latin-fallback=false
hinting-limit=200
ignore-restrictions=true
hinting-range-min=8
hinting-range-max=50
no-info=true
stem-width-mode=qsq
increase-x-height=14
; You can add additional parameters here
extraparams=
Manual hinting tools like VTT give better results, but it is far more work.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
atefk

Post by atefk »

it is very unfortunate that after that much work designing and adjusting glyphes, find out that a manual hinting is mandatory since all these softwares wont solve the entire display issues on Auto hinting.
now how can some one do it, any tutorials are there? seems that no much a beginner can do i guess, and professional foundries will charges a hefty prices for that..
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

TTFautohint is pretty good at hinting a font, just not quite as good as doing it manually, but doing it manually is a LOT of work. The automatic hinting is good enough in my opinion.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

atefk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:28 pm it is very unfortunate that after that much work designing and adjusting glyphes, find out that a manual hinting is mandatory since all these softwares wont solve the entire display issues on Auto hinting.
now how can some one do it, any tutorials are there? seems that no much a beginner can do i guess, and professional foundries will charges a hefty prices for that..
Visual Truetype from Microsoft is free, but it is not a tool for amateurs.
Microsoft Visual TrueType (VTT) is a professional-level tool for graphically instructing TrueType and OpenType TM fonts.
Adding automatic hinting with FontCreator is as easy as selecting an option in Export Settings.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486