Font disappears

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
gregor

Font disappears

Post by gregor »

I edit an installed font with FontCreator 5, save the font close FontCreator. Start FontCreator again, Reopen the font, Validate, Correct som mistakes, Save and try to install get an 'install failed' message. In Windows explorer the size of the font is 0Kb. I cannot open it in explorer or FontCreator. Restart Windows and the font is gone-
I have not repeated this procedure but it is worrysome!
Dave Crosby
Typographer
Typographer

Post by Dave Crosby »

Hi Gregor,

Save the font in a new folder and re-name it prior to editing it. Then save before closing. Keep original fonts and edited fonts seperate.

Windows has enough problems without trying to handle two versions of the same file at once. See if this doesn't help.
Aut nunc aut nunquam
Dick Pape
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Dick Pape »

Hello gregor

I've had the same error and believe it's related to whether the font is already in Windows Fonts directory. If it is, then Windows doesn't overlay fonts readily and easily.

The Font Installation Wizard helps you with this problem. As you proceed through it, read the instructions as they are very clear to what it's seeing and what's happening.

The goal is to get rid of the font from Windows Font folder before installing an updated version. Logically, which may not be accurate, all installed fonts are grabbed and made active by the operating system ("used by another application" or some such) and can't be overlayed. However, deleting first and adding second works.

In the Font Installation Wizard there are a couple of check boxes for "Install the font in Windows Fonts folder" and "Launch Windows Font folder". Use these to confirm the font doesn't exist before trying to add it.

DP

ps. I think this also applies to your other post about not being able to save fonts.
D_Spider

an odd thought

Post by D_Spider »

I recently discovered that the two Franklin Gothic ttf fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts (WinXPpro) will reconstitute themselves in a matter of seconds after one deletes them.

The odd thought is: what happens if one edits a Franklin Gothic font and tries to install the edited version? (I'm not in the least inclined to find out.)

D_Spider