Font Creator 14

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
pwillard

Font Creator 14

Post by pwillard »

So, I just upgraded to FontCreator pro 14 and am immediately having issues with my workflow.

Here is what I normally do.

1) I use the Affinity Designer version V1.92 "pen tool" to get a working vector trace of the basic outline I want to work with inside FontCreator.
2) I normally then export the vectors into a Selection-based SVG file for import into FontCreator (11.5 historically)
3) I finish up the vector layout using Fontcreator 11.5

NOTE: in Fontcreator 11.5, it was even possible to CUT and PASTE the vectors from Designer to a Glyph Editor window in one step, but I preferred saving the work files as SVG.

What happens now with Fontcreator 14 is that it fails to import with a new error:

I've tried to export the vector selection as EPS but that was a complete fail with nothing being loaded.

I'm probably going to have to re-install version 11.5 as this is my preferred workflow. I want to retain the vectors I initially created in Designer.

[FOLLOW-UP]
The only format that I could get to work with Image import that I could export from Designer is PDF. I suppose I could work with this option... but I feel I've definitely lost some functionality over version 11.5.

If you are curious, this is the rough outline I drew in Designer... finally imported to FC14.

Pete
Erwin Denissen

Re: Font Creator 14

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I am sorry for the inconvenience. We continue to improve our software, so this is something we need to fix.

Can you please send us the file and all other information that we can use to reproduce and fix the problem?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We have identified and fixed a problem related to importing your svg file, but please be aware it only contains a raster-based image, no vector-based outline, and FontCreator will not import images from svg documents.

We have just released an update, so no need to revert to an older version of FontCreator, as you would miss out many other improvements and crucial bug fixes!

Copy and paste between Affinity Designer and FontCreator 14 works just fine here. It does contain vector-based outlines, so this is the preferred way to exchange outlines. Please let us know if it fails on your side.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pwillard

Post by pwillard »

Thank-You

Copy Paste now works, which is great!

SVG is still giving me grief so maybe I need to fiddle with Export options.
Pete
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I am glad to know the main problem is solved.

Let us know your results with the export options.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
pwillard

Post by pwillard »

I think I'm going to have to give up on my intermediate SVG file workflow. I can rely on copy/paste.

While I can take the same exported SVG file and have it simply "import" into version 11, using the same file with version 14, the program acts like there is nothing in the SVG file. Changes I tried with different export options made no difference.

I know using the SVG file is actually an extra step, but it was the workflow I adopted while using version 11.
Pete
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

pwillard wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:59 pm I think I'm going to have to give up on my intermediate SVG file workflow. I can rely on copy/paste.

While I can take the same exported SVG file and have it simply "import" into version 11, using the same file with version 14, the program acts like there is nothing in the SVG file. Changes I tried with different export options made no difference.

I know using the SVG file is actually an extra step, but it was the workflow I adopted while using version 11.
I can't reproduce it here. I just tried the file you send me earlier, and version 11.5 just says no contours found, which is correct as the svg contains an image, and FontCreator never supported raster-based images in svg files. Maybe you have send me a different file. If you have one that works with version 11, then please send it to me.

But anyway, it is far better to use copy and paste.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Thank you for sending the additional svg file. I have identified and fixed a bug that should solve this issue. We will release an update soon.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology