RTL Latin Font

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
boylansr

RTL Latin Font

Post by boylansr »

I am wondering if it is possible to get an RTL Latin font by designing the glyph normally and then moving the glyphs to Hebrew or Arabic positions that I assign and then doing substitutions to get it to go RTL. What I would like to be able to do is type normally and have it end up RTL or on one line be LTR and on the next line RTL.

I have used fontcreator for many years but only on occasionally, so I am basically a beginner at font making. Is there an easier way to do this with a Latin font? Is there a way to make the text switch directions at the end of a line?
Erwin Denissen

Re: RTL Latin Font

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Start your text with the right-to-left override (RLO) character (code point $202E) which tells the word processing engine to process the remaining characters from right to left (RTL).

Here is the text "text shown from right to left" preceded with this special character:

‏‮text shown from right to left!

However as soon as a new line is detected this override stops and you have start with yet another right-to-left override character.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
boylansr

Post by boylansr »

Thanks
boylansr

Post by boylansr »

Is the RTL override char like a space and need to be included in the font?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

boylansr wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:57 pm Is the RTL override char like a space and need to be included in the font?
No, I don't think it is required to have it in the font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
boylansr

Post by boylansr »

Thanks