back to anchors

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Erwin Denissen

Re: back to anchors

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 10:13 am OK.
Auto Attach is not taking into account OpenType layout features
Would it be possible to have an option for anchor-based composites to use OT features?
No, as we do the opposite; we generate features based on anchors.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

That's not the opposite of composites using OT features. I'm not suggesting generating anchors based on features, I'm suggesting an option for composite glyph creation that would enable user select how the composite is created - using sth like the mechanism employed in the Preview.

E.g. 1D92, eretroflexhook, needs retroflexhookbelowcomb that extends further up than in iretroflexhook. An OT feature defines the substitution for the longer version, the Preview swaps one for the other, but in the composite formula I need to do that manually. Why can't it be an option in composite glyph creation?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Well, we try to maintain a balance between automation, flexibility and resources we have to improve our software.

Most people seems to be happy with the way this is implemented, but we continue to improve our software. Maybe other people can comment on this, so we better understand if there is a need to make changes here.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

Don't get me wrong - I do love FC, have been using it for ages (that's the thing with programming for other people - you rarely get positive feedback, and most of the stuff you hear back from users is about bugs and requests) - and I wouldn't want to swap it for anything else and I don't say enough that I appreciate all you've done so far. But I also think that having such an option would greatly extend the capabilities of FC and cut down on duplicate work, so I'm hoping others will see that also. :D
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Good to know you like our software!

I am really glad that you take time to report issues and further explain to. This way we can make our software more stable and robust.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology