Font not working in windows.

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
chaosjunkie

Font not working in windows.

Post by chaosjunkie »

I'm very new to this program. I managed to edit a few letters in a font and saved it. The Word program does not recognize this font, it just looks like a regular font when selected. I'm sure there is something I just didn't do right because all characters look fine when pulled up with the font creator program. In what folder should the new edited font be saved? Can it not be saved in the Windows fonts folder with the others? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tracy
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Can you send a copy of your font directly to me? I'll see if I can identify your problem.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Your font contains both Microsoft Symbol and Microsoft Unicode BMP only platforms. A font should only have one of these in order to distinguish between a normal and a symbol font. As your font contains Latin characters, your font should not contain the Microsoft Symbol platform. Your font is missing several character to glyph mappings. Finally I've also noticed the naming fields are not synchronised between your platforms.

Because your font contains correct PostScript names; we use them to regenerate correct mappings as described below.

These steps will fix your font:
  • - Select Platform Manager from the Format menu. Delete all platforms.
    - Add Macintosh Roman through the Add Platform window. On the Add Platform window select Generate from PostScript names.
    - Add Microsoft Unicode BMP only through the Add Platform window. On the Add Platform window select Generate from PostScript names.
    - Select AutoNaming from the Tools menu to add valid naming fields.
Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
chaosjunkie

Still a no go

Post by chaosjunkie »

I changed everything as you said. I'm not sure what to change in autonaming in order to add valid naming fields. I made the platform changes and used the installation wizard, but still no luck with Word recognizing the font. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe I forgot something to mention. Please send the adjusted file to me and I'll try to find out where it goes wrong.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

One more thing I forgot to mention is about code pages. In order to use the font it should contain the Latin 1 (1252) code page character range. You can set it through Format -> Settings -> Ranges tab. The calculate button usually gives the best results in determining the correct code pages. To ensure proper Unicode character ranges, use that calculate button as well.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
chaosjunkie

Post by chaosjunkie »

I did the calculating and it was all set with the Latin that you specified. Still, however, it does not work. No one else seems to have this problem... What else can I do?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Maybe Windows font cache has an older version in memory. A restart might help. If this isn't working let me know and I'll send a modified font file (that works on my system; running Windows XP) to you.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
chaosjunkie

Post by chaosjunkie »

A restart didn't help the problem. It still reads like a regular font. The original font isn't in the windows font folder... I don't get it. Thanks for your help!!
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I've send a modified font file to you that should work on Windows 95 and higher (e.g. 98/ME/NT/2000/XP and 2003).
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
chaosjunkie

That was it!!!!

Post by chaosjunkie »

Dearest Erwin,

I don't know what you did, but it worked like a charm. I can finally see and use my font! Thank you again, ever so much for your unflagging assistance!

Tracy
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

I'm glad to hear you've finally managed to make your font work.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology