remove unused anchors

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
NinnaD

remove unused anchors

Post by NinnaD »

How can I delete either unused or selected anchors from a group of glyphs - other than manually one by one?
Erwin Denissen

Re: remove unused anchors

Post by Erwin Denissen »

This is not possible right now.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

OK, thank you.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Actually, it can be done by copying the glyph to a new glyph, and using paste special. The paste special dialog offers an option to omit anchors.

However, if the glyph is used by composites, the connections will be lost.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

Yes, I was very happy with that trick as it's extremely useful - alas not for removing one or two and leaving others, and, as you've pointed out, that's further complicated by composites. Btw, why, does adding an anchor also add it to composites - but not the other way round (deleting it)?
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:00 pm Yes, I was very happy with that trick as it's extremely useful - alas not for removing one or two and leaving others, and, as you've pointed out, that's further complicated by composites. Btw, why, does adding an anchor also add it to composites - but not the other way round (deleting it)?
With Auto Attach all anchors will be inherited from the glyphs that are used to make the composite. Anchors that are removed from the base glyph will remain available at the composite glyph, as it is not aware of the source of its anchors.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

However, when I do the following:
1. remove 1 anchor on a
2. disable AutoAttach on agrave
3. make agrave empty
4. make agrave simple
5. enable AutoAttach on agrave
6. agrave Complete Composites > Anchor Based

On agrave I still have that 1 anchor I deleted from a. So before Complete Composites I also need to manually remove anchors from agrave. One might hope that creating the composite from scratch would lose the unwanted anchor, but that's now the case. (the 1 anchor in this example is not used anywhere, it's just a dummy for testing purposes)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

NinnaD wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:01 am However, when I do the following:
1. remove 1 anchor on a
2. disable AutoAttach on agrave
3. make agrave empty
4. make agrave simple
5. enable AutoAttach on agrave
6. agrave Complete Composites > Anchor Based

On agrave I still have that 1 anchor I deleted from a. So before Complete Composites I also need to manually remove anchors from agrave. One might hope that creating the composite from scratch would lose the unwanted anchor, but that's now the case. (the 1 anchor in this example is not used anywhere, it's just a dummy for testing purposes)
It is by design, as you can add and edit anchors to an Auto Attach composite.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
NinnaD

Post by NinnaD »

I understand the idea, but somewhere there should be an option of an action that clears existing anchors before the composite is rebuilt, like maybe a second type of Complete Composites > Anchor Based?