Three questions

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
shuki

Three questions

Post by shuki »

1. I have a parametric range created by 3 masters, the trigger sits right in a small deviation from the roof line and floor, when I shift it in the transformer as little as possible - it is shifted more than necessary, I need a value of 0.5 but not possible, how to do it?
Screenshot_35.png
Screenshot_35.png (19.04 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
2. In the latest versions there is a shift in the position of the endpoints, it is disturbing, why is this happening?

3. In the latest versions when I export a font file a name is created without hyphens - as it appears inside the font?
Attachments
Screenshot_41.png
Screenshot_41.png (8.42 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Screenshot_40.png
Screenshot_40.png (27.46 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Screenshot_39.png
Screenshot_39.png (22.78 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Screenshot_38.png
Screenshot_38.png (36.12 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Screenshot_37.png
Screenshot_37.png (14.37 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Screenshot_36.png
Screenshot_36.png (12.45 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
Erwin Denissen

Re: Three questions

Post by Erwin Denissen »

shuki wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:25 am 1. I have a parametric range created by 3 masters, the trigger sits right in a small deviation from the roof line and floor, when I shift it in the transformer as little as possible - it is shifted more than necessary, I need a value of 0.5 but not possible, how to do it?
It does not support floating values, as in the end the outline coordinates are stored as integers inside a font with TrueType based outlines.
shuki wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:25 am 2. In the latest versions there is a shift in the position of the endpoints, it is disturbing, why is this happening?
I don't understand what you mean. What shifts, and did this also occur in previous releases?
shuki wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:25 am 3.In the latest versions when I export a font file a name is created without hyphens - as it appears inside the font?
Yes, this is a change we thought to be useful, so the hyphen will only appear once, between family and subfamily. This seems to be the most common way to name font files.

Typographic Family Name: MyFont SemiCondensed
Typographic Subfamily Name: SemiBold
Would result in:
MyFontSemiCondensed-SemiBold.ttf
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
shuki

Post by shuki »

1. I have a parametric range created by 3 masters, the trigger sits right in a small deviation from the roof line and floor, when I shift it in the transformer as little as possible - it is shifted more than necessary, I need a value of 0.5 but not possible, how to do it?
Is there a solution other than manual labor?
I don't understand what you mean. What shifts, and did this also occur in previous releases?
Can't remember how many versions back but definitely already some versions that the dots do not sit in the right place
Yes, this is a change we thought to be useful, so the hyphen will only appear once, between family and subfamily. This seems to be the most common way to name font files.
We'll try to get used to it (:
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

shuki wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:36 pm Is there a solution other than manual labor?
There is no solution, as all points will be rounded when the font is exported.

We will see if we can match the actual outline with the points and the selection box. It will make it more consistent, but again you will only see it during design; it is not how it will end up in the font.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by PJMiller »

These 'errors' are small and they have little effect on the final font.

There isn't a way to eliminate the discrepancies since the points have to be on integer values but they can be reduced by selecting a higher 'Units per Em' value when starting a font. A font with 2048 units per Em will have twice the density of points compared to a font with 1024 units per Em and a font with 4096 units per Em will have four times the density.

Hope this helps. :)
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Erwin Denissen wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:44 pm We will see if we can match the actual outline with the points and the selection box. It will make it more consistent, but again you will only see it during design; it is not how it will end up in the font.
Here is another update, that makes it more consistent.

FontCreator 14.0.0.2854 (64-bit)

Do let us know if it works.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
shuki

Post by shuki »

It does look right now
shuki

Post by shuki »

I would love to know if you have a recommendation on how to build weights in preparation for a variable font, as I know the way to create light weight through the transformer, but the weight can not be adjusted exactly to the floor line and ceiling, Pontlab knows how to maintain the same height and position in weight games.