Any Current or Future Plans to Develop ARM-based Architecture Versions of FontCreator and MainType?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Steve S

Any Current or Future Plans to Develop ARM-based Architecture Versions of FontCreator and MainType?

Post by Steve S »

In the meantime, is there an option to run your x86 versions in some sort of emulation mode within the ARM-based environment?
In my case, I'm looking to run FontCreator & MainType within my M1 Mac Studio running macOS Monterey operating system within a Parallels Desktop - Windows 11 Pro virtual machine.
Erwin Denissen

Re: Any Current or Future Plans to Develop ARM-based Architecture Versions of FontCreator and MainType?

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Even though we would love to have a Mac version, we currently have no plans to make such Mac compatible version, but even right now there are ways to use it on a Mac.

This tutorial shows several options that allow you to use our font editor on a Mac.
Running FontCreator on a Mac
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Steve S

Re: Any Current or Future Plans to Develop ARM-based Architecture Versions of FontCreator and MainType?

Post by Steve S »

Thank you for your prompt reply, Erwin.
That's where my problem lies with the Parallels Desktop virtual machine running Windows 11 Pro which can only run in an ARM-based environment within Apple's exclusive Metal API. That's why I inquired about your software possibly running within that environment in an emulation mode to run (albeit most likely) much less responsive due to the emulation process.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

We haven't tried it, but what about Wine?
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Update:
I attempted to install Wine on my M1 Mac Studio Ultra but unfortunately, it does not install within Apple's Metal API.

Should the developer decide to create a compatible installer in the near future, perhaps I will have another opportunity to get your applications to run within that environment.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

Too bad you are not able to use FontCreator on your Mac.

It would be great if someone knows a way.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology