New font version does not overwrite previous

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
Bernie Cossentino

New font version does not overwrite previous

Post by Bernie Cossentino »

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue where an updated font version does not properly overwrite and take precedence over an existing (older) installation with the same font family name. The new font version was created on FC version 13 (.2683).

Between the two, the font's family name (Full Font Name) and PostScript name are exactly the same. However, their Version string (font revision) and Unique Font Identifier are different (so that I can differentiate the two versions outside of the OS's font folder. The output file name is also slightly different.

When trying to install the newer version, Windows 10 appears to be successful (asking the usual...whether I wish to overwrite existing installation). However, the new installation does not seem to take precedence over the previously installed version (when tested with target application). Yes, I tried rebooting my machine but get the same results.

A similar issue is occurring on MacOS (Mojave). There, it gives me an error dialog and asking whether I should overwrite. I click yes, and as with Windows...I assume installation is correct, only to find that the previous version still takes precedence.

Summarizing, one assumes that if two fonts have the exact same family name (Full Font Name, PostScript), but differ in their version and unique ID's, that the newer installation should overwrite whatever is installed and take precedence? If this is not the case, what should one do to assure that a font overwrite is always successful? i.e. without having to ask the end-user to first uninstall the previous version from their machines...as that would be such nuisance.

Very much appreciate your thoughts,
Bernie
Font Creator 13
Windows 7 and 10 Pro
PJMiller
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: New font version does not overwrite previous

Post by PJMiller »

I don't know anything about MacOs but in Windows it is possible to have two different fonts with the same name installed on the same machine. I don't know if this has anything to do with the issue you are having.

On Windows there are two ways to install a font, 'Install' and 'Install for all users', the first one installs the font in a supplementary font folder in the users directory which means the font should take precedence for that user but nobody else will see it. The second type of installation installs the font for all users (unless they have a font of the same name in their user directory). Installing for all users requires Admin access.

I don't know if this is the issue you are dealing with but it is possible for two different accounts on the same machine to see different sets of fonts.

Hope this helps.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

On Windows you could use MainType to manage your fonts.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bernie Cossentino

Post by Bernie Cossentino »

Thank you PJ and Erwin, for your replies.

As I'm more concerned about how my intended end-user experiences the installation process of the updated font in question, I fear the best and easiest solution is to (sadly) instruct them to first uninstall their previous font installation (on either the Mac or Windows platform). This, at least theoretically, should eliminate the cache and/or duplicate font issue at hand?
Font Creator 13
Windows 7 and 10 Pro