How can I insert glyphs to multiple composite glyphs at once?

Get help with FontCreator here. Please do not post feature requests or bug reports here.
LEEpid

How can I insert glyphs to multiple composite glyphs at once?

Post by LEEpid »

Hello, I'm a user who makes Korean fonts.

I'm writing English with a translator, so the sentences in the text are uploaded without being properly organized.

I want to shorten the working time through the following functions.
01.jpg
01.jpg (5.5 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
This button is very convenient, but it's not activated in the character overview window, and it's only activated when I open each glyph. As a result, I can choose the section containing the same glyph at once, but I have to repeat the same glyph once per glyph — a total of 11,172 times.
02.jpg
02.jpg (322.96 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Instead of copying and pasting it, I have to adjust the editing data of all the other glyphs by adjusting one of the glyphs that I synthesized, so I have to follow the following synthesis method that includes the data.

I hope there is an easier way to do the next process than repeat it 11,000 times. If there is a way to make a composite glyph at once by selecting all the corresponding columns, such as copy and paste, please share it.
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Re: How can I insert glyphs to multiple composite glyphs at once?

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I am not familiar with Korean fonts. 11,000 similar glyphs is a huge number to add, even with copy/paste.
  1. Insert the desired glyph in the first glyph and exit the glyph edit window
  2. Copy the new glyph and copy it to the next nine glyphs in the glyph overview
  3. Copy the ten glyphs, and copy them to the next ninety glyphs in the glyph overview.
  4. Copy the one hundred glyphs, and copy them to the next nine hundred glyphs in the glyph overview.
  5. Copy the one thousand glyphs, and copy them to the next ten thousand glyphs in the glyph overview.
Now you should have 11,000 identical base glyphs. Open the first and insert additional glyph or glyphs to create the first composite. Scroll to the next and repeat.

I suspect there is an easier method, but I have only worked with Latin Character sets, for which definitions exist for creating multiple composites at once automatically.

Creating definitions in CompositeData.xml for Korean character sets is theoretically possible, but only worth doing if you are creating more than a few Korean fonts.
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
LEEpid

Post by LEEpid »

Hi, thank you for your kind and detailed reply.
But I don't really understand the process of copying glyphs T.T
Could you add a simple video or screenshot of the process you mentioned in the comment?

Also, I tried copying and pasting the following two glyphs "ㄱ"and "ㅏ" into the following glyphs, but in the case of "ㅏ", it does not paste, and half of the glyph windows are filled in red as follows:
03.jpg
03.jpg (32.22 KiB) Viewed 1725 times
Could you explain this problem as well?😥
Last edited by LEEpid on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erwin Denissen

Post by Erwin Denissen »

LEEpid wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:47 pm This button is very convenient, but it's not activated in the character overview window, and it's only activated when I open each glyph. As a result, I can choose the section containing the same glyph at once, but I have to repeat the same glyph once per glyph — a total of 11,172 times.
Here is an update that allows you to add multiple glyphs to all selected (empty and composite) glyphs in the font panel.

FontCreator 14.0.0.2858 (64-bit)

Let us know your results.
Erwin Denissen
High-Logic
Proven Font Technology
Bhikkhu Pesala
Top Typographer
Top Typographer

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Wow! That is an awesome improvement. 🏆
My FontsReviews: MainTypeFont CreatorHelpFC15 + MT12.0 @ Win 10 64-bit build 19045.2486
LEEpid

Post by LEEpid »

Amazing! Problem solved.
Thank you for the good update and response👏👏🏻👏🏼👏🏽👏🏾👏🏿